A Good Summer of Progress on the 64 Valiant ( Pics Included )

-

Kmrumedy

Reaction score
Just storing my 64 Valiant this week and was going through a few pictures on my phone and realized how much work I got done this summer. Especially the really nagging stuff you don't feel like doing. I got almost everything done on the car now. Just need a legal exhaust system for next spring and some new rear tires.

A few pictures projects/ tasks in no particular order.

1. The car originally had one of those triangle of death air cleaners. Look at this thing! Can you say DETONATION. Here it is running with it. And a picture of it when I removed it.

image_zps44dd2c7c.jpg

The reason why it had this cleaner was the original owner miscalculated the placement of the hood scoop and therefore could only cut out a hole in the hood 12 inches in diameter and it wasn't centered. I was able to enlarge and center the hole to 16 inches in diameter and finally install a low profile 14 inch K&N system. Also thermo protected the lines going to the carb. Reduced the spacer on the engine from 2 1/2 inches to 1 inch which helped with the install of the new cleaner system and should mitigate any vapour lock. Had to remove the hood with those famous tension bars. I had no idea how much tension they were holding...hinge flew off inches from my face and lodged itself in my garage wall. Lesson well learned. It took 3 of us to get the hood back on.

image_zpsk26x5fom.jpg

2. Cool Factor - Installed some grills in the hood scoop. I know it is purely cosmetic but man oh man does it make the car look cool and mean in a front shot.

image_zpsqc0xuu4o.jpg

20160701_154109_zpsxaydzurd.jpg

3. Reinstalled all the interior with period correct seats, new shifter with custom box, and finally installed a swing bar kit on driver and passenger side so I don't crush my boys, smash my knees on the roll cage. I'm too old for that crap anymore!

image.jpg

20160701_154234_zpswzpaabbu.jpg

4. Finally did a messy radiator flush changed all fluids. Installed fuel filter in back of car near fuel cell and another in the engine bay. Car never had fuel filters installed. Fired her up after sitting for three years. My friend help me tune . See video. Drove her out to the end of the driveway. All kinds of people stopping to talk about the car. Lots of fun.

image_zpssdhcgm78.jpg

Her she is in the garage getting ready for the winter sleep! What a great summer!

64%20Valiant_zpsgt18jny7.jpg

Last edited:
Thats is such an awesome car, youve done a great job on it so far!!

Jake

Cars looks great. The color really looks good with the body lines IMO....

We have something in common. My 72 has the same Air Cleaner lol.... I might ditch it in lieu of what you have now.... I thought my car was the last one to have a Ram Flo lol....

JW

-
Back