a little fine tuning, and ???

-

famous bob

mopar misfit
Reaction score
was feeling a little froggy yesterday, and did some fine tuning on the f.i. , motor was running better than it has yet (about 300 miles), took a 1/2 spacer out of the mech. fan also. after resetting the IAC , and restarting it when hot -about 220, I heard a screech that lasted for about a second. first thing I thot of was a spinning bearing, second thing I thot of- I had messed w/ the fan belt some. Now I`m scared ! Thinking about jacking it up and pulling it apart and checking the bearings. GRRR, a pain in the *** w/ a girdle -laying on my 70 yr. old *** !

check your oil level

if the oil is good, no bearing is going to screech, and live
(unless, perhaps, maybe, a waterpump, or alternator bearing)

my money would be on the belts

check your oil level

if the oil is good, no bearing is going to screech, and live
(unless, perhaps, maybe, a waterpump, or alternator bearing)

my money would be on the belts
Actually, once on a very hot 406 sbc, I had, on start up a really good prof. mech. friend was standing in front of the car, and when I cranked it he immediately motioned to shut it off. He heard it schreech, and knew it was a bearing. I couldn`t hear it, "can`t hear low noises'' due to the air force and many yrs. of open hemi headers. But I heard this one. SCARED ! If that`s what it is, it`s already hurt, I`d sure hate to lose the whole engine by driving it any further, it sure seems like a runner so far.

well, actually u lost me on that one ! just a dumb country boy here !

Keep It Simple, Stupid... KISS

Start with the easiest thing first in your diagnostics.

You'd hate drop the pan and check the bearings to find out it was a fan belt squealing at start up.

Actually, once on a very hot 406 sbc, I had, on start up a really good prof. mech. friend was standing in front of the car, and when I cranked it he immediately motioned to shut it off. He heard it schreech, and knew it was a bearing. I couldn`t hear it, "can`t hear low noises'' due to the air force and many yrs. of open hemi headers. But I heard this one. SCARED ! If that`s what it is, it`s already hurt, I`d sure hate to lose the whole engine by driving it any further, it sure seems like a runner so far.
Ok, maybe it could be a bearing, but listen to yourself, you heard this when?
When the engine was hot (which means oil is everywhere) and after you removed a fan spacer and most likely messed with the fan belt tension

Like rameth said, keep it simple, the logical conclusion would be belt squeak

Keep It Simple, Stupid... KISS

Start with the easiest thing first in your diagnostics.

You'd hate drop the pan and check the bearings to find out it was a fan belt squealing at start up.
Ok, maybe it could be a bearing, but listen to yourself, you heard this when?
When the engine was hot (which means oil is everywhere) and after you removed a fan spacer and most likely messed with the fan belt tension

Like rameth said, keep it simple, the logical conclusion would be belt squeak
take ur stupid remark and stick it up ur *** ! ' super flunky." Why do some of u guys start name calling when u don`t even know what THE HELL ur talkin about? -------- DIYMIRRAGE, I didn`t change anything on the belt. the alternator is adjusted w/ a home made heim set up off the motor plate, no movement-just pulling the bolt. And the belt has never squeeled or come off from day one. Kinda want to look at the bearings anyway. END OF POST.

take ur stupid remark and stick it up ur *** ! ' super flunky." Why do some of u guys start name calling when u don`t even know what THE HELL ur talkin about? -------- DIYMIRRAGE, I didn`t change anything on the belt. the alternator is adjusted w/ a home made heim set up off the motor plate, no movement-just pulling the bolt. And the belt has never squeeled or come off from day one. Kinda want to look at the bearings anyway. END OF POST.

well, it is your car, you should know it better then me
if you think its the bearings, what do you want to do?
change the oil and look for specks?
cut open the oilfilter and look for particles?
or just pull the pan and pop some caps off and see what you got?

(oh, and just as on a side note, i dont think rameth was calling you personally stupid, it is just the what goes for the second S in "KISS")

He wasn't callin you stupid, Bob. K.I.S.S. is a very old saying that simply means to keep things simple, don't over think it and don't make it too complicated. That's all.

Sorta like someone building something and talking to themselves saying "keep it simple, stupid".

He didn't mean it as an insult.

He wasn't callin you stupid, Bob. K.I.S.S. is a very old saying that simply means to keep things simple, don't over think it and don't make it too complicated. That's all.

Sorta like someone building something and talking to themselves saying "keep it simple, stupid".

He didn't mean it as an insult.

Thank you, Rob.

Yup, Bob, just finishing out the acronym of K.I.S.S.

That, is, indeed, what the second "s" means and is nothing more than a way to describe what someone says to oneself as a reminder to start with the simple things before getting more complicated.

-
Back