A or B body??

-
The 71 Dart is an A-body. To confuse matters further, the 60-61 Dart would be considered a C-body, the 62 Dart is a B-Body, and the 63-76 Darts are A-bodies. Chrysler came up with the A-B-C designations in 1965. The A-body was the compact car platform, the B-body the intermediate, and C-body for the full-size. The A-body nomenclature was made retroactive to the 63 models, B-bodies to the 62s.

Things got more complicated later on as Chrysler issued a plethora of platforms and the letter nomenclature became less logical. It still exists today, though the platforms have a 2 letter nomenclature.

That is a good question some times people look at me like I am talking French or some thing as I try and tell them about my A body. LOL

Good explination 72 Demon.

The 71 Dart is an A-body. To confuse matters further, the 60-61 Dart would be considered a C-body, the 62 Dart is a B-Body, and the 63-76 Darts are A-bodies. Chrysler came up with the A-B-C designations in 1965. The A-body was the compact car platform, the B-body the intermediate, and C-body for the full-size. The A-body nomenclature was made retroactive to the 63 models, B-bodies to the 62s.

Things got more complicated later on as Chrysler issued a plethora of platforms and the letter nomenclature became less logical. It still exists today, though the platforms have a 2 letter nomenclature.

Ok, so let me get this straight, A, B, C are only designations for the size of the vehicle (small, medium, and large)....I bet you my A body would be classed as a C body if it were made today. haha Thank you guys for the response

Ok, so let me get this straight, A, B, C are only designations for the size of the vehicle (small, medium, and large)....I bet you my A body would be classed as a C body if it were made today. haha Thank you guys for the response

You got it. Buy todays standerds an A body is a midsize car. Put a new Mustang and a Dart side buy side and you will see they are very close to the same size. The Dart would be lighter but it don't have all them air bags and power every thing that new cars have. Did you know that a 340 Dart is the same weight as an 07 Corvette? Just some fun facs for you.

Yeah, its funny when people look at my 68 Dart they say its such a big car. Back in the day it actually was a compact car.

GM has the same type of designations. The Chevelle for instance, is an A-Body:read2:

j

even with there designations the darts weren't that much smaller then a c-body dodge there was only an extra 6" of knee clearence and only about an extra foot in length (was looking it up yesterday wife could use a bigger car)

Using Chrysler's logic the E-body should have been the A 1/2 body. I get totally lost when talking F, J, K, etc in later years.

-
Back