a tale of three trans pans....

-

A body

SLO-KID
Reaction score
Removed the heavy Summit aluminum pan in favor of an old 46RH pan (back). With my Griner T-brake the filter was dang close to the bottom of the pan. The Summit pan was 2.10 depth, the 46RH pan was 2.4, and the one on the right is a 48RE pan which is 3" deep. I'd have gone with the 48, but didn't have another spacer with more depth to move the filter down some. Summit pan also seemed to like to leak as the rail wasn't too true apparently. Steel pan and reusable Mopar gasket has always worked well for me. I'll miss the drain plug, but that's why they make fluid evacuators.

So if i wanted to take off my stock pan and run the 46rh pan, would i just have to get a filter extension to use it?

Yes sir..... Andy F's spacer ( http://www.manciniracing.com/bi72fisp.html ) will be about 1/2 off the bottom of the RH pan. I used to have an even deeper spacer to run the 48RE pan, but it was on the car I sold. With the drag car I like to keep the filter element fairly close to the bottom.

You don't actually have to run an extension but it's best to run one, especially if it's a race car. Remember this, even when you install a deep pan you still fill the trans fluid to the same level. For that reason the filter should be submerged in atf as deep as it was in stock form even with no extension. The main purpose of a deep trans pan is to add more fluid capacity

Cool, i will have to pick one up. I don't want to take any chances on sucking the pan dry. Thanks.

-
Back