A while back I was asking for advice....

-

savoy413

Reaction score
A while back I was asking for advice on fitting a small block V8 into my 1966 AP6 Australian Valiant, but after looking into all the hassles with needing to get the car certified (New Zealand), I can't be bothered with it.

Bit if I repower with a slant 6, everything would be hassle free.

I have the original slant engine for the car that could be rebuilt, but I have the opportunity to purchase a 225 two barrel slant motor out of a 1986 Dodge Ram.

I have some questions about the 1986 motor.

Will the 1986 motor perform as well as the original 1 barrel 225 which was rated at 145 horsepower?

I've become aware of the HP and torque ratings switching from gross to net some time in the 1970s, but I can't quite get to grips with all that, maybe the later engine may be more powerful than the original?

All I know is I don't want less power.

The 1986 motor had a 3 speed manual gearbox on it, so will it bolt up to my original 1966 904 Torqueflite?

From what I've learned so far, the later slants, post 1967, have a larger diameter crankshaft end, so it wont fit the earlier torque converter, however I think Hemi Performance in Australia sell a reducer ring for this conversion without having to get another torque converter?

Can I easily use the original 1 barrel carbs accelerator cable on the later 2 barrel?

And is the 2 barrel setup to work only with the lean burn ignition, and when I use my original points ignitions, (as I'm planning to do) will the 2 barrel be suitable, or should I put the old 1 barrel and manifold on, or maybe look for a pre-lean burn Carter 2 barrel?

I think that about covers what I need to know. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

By the way, my car has a firewall mounted kickdown mechanism, maybe that simplifies the accelerator cable situation?

I don’t know anything about the 225 other than it has 6 cylinders. If you really want a v-8 I suggest you get it running with the 6, get your cert, then begin your conversions…>.. then I imagine no one needs to see it after that. At least that’s the way it works in my area..

You may want to post your question over in the /6 section,  and over on slantsix.org, otherwise you'll get a lot of "Just Magnum swap it." :poke:
Since you were already considering an engine swap, and ruled that out due to tyrannical legislation/bureaucrats, have you considered either a supercharger or a turbo setup? You gotta admit, it looks sexy! Paint the valve cover and head red and slap some WWII bomber at of a redhead on your front fender...

1687710218677.png

1687710676428.png

The 86 engine is a hydraulic lifter engine. It has a different head, valve cover and valve train than your original 66 engine. Also, the crankshaft register is larger on the 86 engine than the 66 engine, so you need to correct flywheel or flex plate for whichever engine you use. Lastly, the 86 engine also has a cast crankshaft instead of forged.

-
Back