A230 A833 od

-

Johnny71dusty

Reaction score
I was told here somewhere that these two shared the same outer case and same bolt pattern as far as the bell housing .

I have A230 and bell for it to go to slant 6 .

I was going to use that same bell on A body a833od unit .

I know the shifter and Linkage and stuff won't work but thought the bell was the same .

I believe the OD transmissions have the largest bearing retainer diameter (5.1) of all the manual transmissions.

I believe the OD transmissions have the largest bearing retainer diameter (5.1) of all the manual transmissions.
I don't understand what that means . The bell doesn't have any sort of rings or seals right ? It just bolts on ? But looks the same a 833 and imf trying to find the thread where someone told me I could use my slant 6 a230 bell on the a833od . But brewers just told me they don't think they are the same .

I think they are referring to the front bearing on the tranny.It must fit snug where it mates the bellhousing I used an aluminum case from an OD tranny and put my 833 guts in it and then had my alum. bellhousing milled to fit the larger bearing.

Here is a /6 833OD bellhousing. It also has the 230 bolt pattern but the hole for the 230 is smaller than for the 833OD. That hole needs to be snug over the retainer on the front of the transmission.
Does your bell housing have these bolt patterns?
1673960454208.jpeg

Here is a /6 833OD bellhousing. It also has the 230 bolt pattern but the hole for the 230 is smaller than for the 833OD. That hole needs to be snug over the retainer on the front of the transmission.
Does your bell housing have these bolt patterns?
View attachment 1716036222
I see - no mine doesn't . Crap . I'm looking all over eBay last few days and nothing for slant 833od . I guess I need to get from brewers

I was told here somewhere that these two shared the same outer case and same bolt pattern as far as the bell housing .

I have A230 and bell for it to go to slant 6 .

I was going to use that same bell on A body a833od unit .

I know the shifter and Linkage and stuff won't work but thought the bell was the same .
FWIW, A230s from overdrive era, '75-later or so, had the big 5.125" outside diameter bearing retainer but had the small bolt pattern for the 307 bearing. Also, /6 overdrive trucks turn up in the junkyard quite a bit, at least around here, and that bellhousing will go right into a '67-later A-body that uses the long clutch fork.

Last edited:
My a230 is from a 71/72 duster . Sadly it was a great working unit I got from a guy here . But not going to use it now. If gonns go through all this effort i may as well do overdrive unit as much as I travel in this car . I hope to do power tour again for 2023

-
Back