A500 flexplate ?, Maybe issue.

-

khuebner250

Reaction score
I bought a b&m 10230 flexplate. It's supposed to be for an internally balanced small block with multiple patterns for the converter. However, I just took it out of the box and installed it and noticed that there's holes cut in it. I find this odd? Doing more research on finding it's for an internally balanced 727 and I'm not sure it'll work on an a500. Any insight? I find the holes odd.

IMG_20190720_211630574.jpg

Was this flex plate purchased separately or with a "rotating assembly"? It looks like all new stuff from what I see. If it's part of a rotating assembly, fine tuning of the balance may have been performed by the balance guy. If it was bought separately, then its been screwed with!

Was this flex plate purchased separately or with a "rotating assembly"? It looks like all new stuff from what I see. If it's part of a rotating assembly, fine tuning of the balance may have been performed by the balance guy. If it was bought separately, then its been screwed with!
Bought separately, new.

Those are balance holes I assume. Could be someone did that, wasn't happy, returned it and you got it.

On another note, before you put a flexplate on, line up the holes with the converter and match mark it. Makes life easier

Was that flex plate in an original B&M box? Was it already opened and maybe re-taped? Was is bought from someone on ebay? Does it have the B&M part number stamped in it? Does it have the SFI sticker on it?
I never saw a B&M flex plate with extra balance holes like that.

Here is a brand new out of the box B&M 10230. Notice there are no extra holes. I think I have this one oriented the same as yours, based on crankshaft bolt holes. I believe someone tried adding holes to balance it as others stated, but I think they put the holes in the wrong spot and then returned it messed up.
In my photo the black curved line indicates where a chunk would be removed to make a 10230 into a 5.9 Magnum external balance flex plate, like B&M 10242.
IMG_20190725_162534.jpg
IMG_20190725_162257.jpg

-
Back