A518 46RH rebuild

-
I was able to finish the transmission this weekend. As I said before I wasn't upgrading the valve body but I did pull it apart and clean everything and inspect for any issues. I didn't find anything wrong but it was dirty. Got it all cleaned up and back together with out issue. I also received my replacement lockup torque converter. Only thing left is install the patc kit and then shoe horn it into the truck.. Shouldn't be too much of an issue.

20240218_152027.jpg

20240218_180107.jpg

20240218_183302.jpg

20240218_183338.jpg

Small update, I have the patc kit installed and the transmission ready. Install will be next weekend, then we'll find out just how much better the truck will be at higher speeds/ freeway speeds..

20240317_131705.jpg

20240317_175043.jpg

I thought I recognized that press tool... It looks a lot like the one that the guy from "transmission bench" had. I watched all of them except the last couple that deal with the valve body so far...
I'm redoing a 46RE. It's taking me forever compared to when I used to do them.....
This one's costing me more than the last couple combined did, between the increase in prices in the last few years, the fact that a master kit no longer has a front band or bushings (now extra cost add ons), I am doing a few upgrades (sonnax bullet servos and accumulator) along the way this time too.
Add in that I didn't get everything I asked for when I went to buy the Parts and have had to do some chasing for what I asked for and didn't receive.... Plus the hard parts I'm having to replace, that I haven't had to on the last few ... And when I did I had a buddy close by that was "the" trans guy at the local Dodge dealer, and he had a pretty good stash of spare parts that I no longer can rely on.... And every time I turn around I find something else I missed that needs replaced. I just had to go to a local core supplier and get a pump and forward clutch drum because once I got into them they were torn up....
Never ending battle....

I have a question. How did you measure the output shaft end play and the OD hub depth to determine the spacer for the thrust bearing on the OD apply piston? I'm looking for those 2 factory tools to do just that, the dealer close to me couldn't find them on the tool board, so I'm gonna try the one by work tomorrow.

Yes prices are going crazy.. Build back better right? :wtf:

I didn't I reused the OD spacer and thrust bearing for the apply piston.

So you just put it back (hopefully) how it was originally and called it good?
My original od piston was scored, so I replaced it with a good used one, that piston is discontinued, NA new anywhere except as a billet aftermarket piece. Big money.
I also replaced the piston retainer, which are available everywhere and quite reasonably.
So I'm not sure if my current setup sits exactly the same height as the original.
Had I not had to replace those 2 parts I would have probably just reassembled it "as was".
That spacer behind the thrust bearing is "selective" based on this measurement.
I got the new sonnax thrust bearing and spacer which came with a thin shim to go under that thick spacer if needed.

Have you figured out the transmission mount for it yet? I will be putting a 518 in my 88 D100 and had thought of maybe trying to scrounge an entire transmission crossmember from a 92-92 D100, D150 or a Ramcharger for my swap. I'm putting a 1998 model 5.9 Magnum in mine and have a line on a 91-93 truck to snag a gas tank from, so maybe I'll get lucky and it will have a crossmember too.

Have you figured out the transmission mount for it yet? I will be putting a 518 in my 88 D100 and had thought of maybe trying to scrounge an entire transmission crossmember from a 92-92 D100, D150 or a Ramcharger for my swap. I'm putting a 1998 model 5.9 Magnum in mine and have a line on a 91-93 truck to snag a gas tank from, so maybe I'll get lucky and it will have a crossmember too.
I am currently working on a similar swap. I am putting either a 46RH or 46RE in place of the original 727 on my 89 Ramcharger.
I recently pulled the trans crossmember from a 92 D250 pickup in case I need it.

I suggest starting a new thread so we don’t derail this one. I would like to see a couple pictures of your original crossmember showing the trans mount area to see if it is the same as my Ramcharger.

There are are still details I am sorting out but I wanted the overdrive as well. Quick searches for replacement trans mounts did not make it totally clear if my old trans crossmember would work with an overdrive, but I now think it will. The older ones are clearly not going to work because they have the very small loop where the old style 727 mount goes. A 92 D250 came available so I grabbed it’s crossmember because already had a 46RH trans.

My Ramcharger crossmember is shaped similar to the 92 D250 but definitely different. The Ramcharger uses a bunch of spacers to position the crossmember on the frame. The 92 D250 mounts solid to the frame with no spacers, so it looks cleaner. It appears they would place the trans mount in the same spot.

The holes in the frame of the 92 D250 and the 89 Ramcharger are not the same, so crossmember will not bolt right in. But the frame holes could be welded closed and redrilled.

Here they are comparing side by side. The 89 Ramcharger trans crossmember with 727 on the left and the 92 D250 with 46RH on the right. The 92 D250 did not use the large heat shield bolted to the crossmember either.
I believe the 89 Ramcharger crossmember will accept the 46RE or 46RH transmission as long as the correct trans mount setup is used.

IMG_8097.jpeg

Here is how the Ramcharger started out originally, except engine and trans are already out. Notice how the crossmember is kind of wide and flat at the center.

IMG_7372.jpeg

-Yes I thought of this and I'm hoping I got lucky with this D100 I've noticed that the trans crossmember all the frame bolts are symmetrical with exception of the spool mount location. Now the difference in mounting location for the 904 (currently in the truck) and the 46Rh soon to be in the truck is 1 1/4" difference. My intent is to spin the crossmember 180* and flip the spool mount itself to face forward. This will get me the inch backwards in length I'll need and hoping the slotted mounting holes in the spool mount will allow me to fudge the last 1/4" needed. Worst comes to worst I drill new mounting holes in the frame and move the crossmember back 1.25" At least that's my take on it... I start the swap this Wednesday, I'm going to have the trans bolted in by Thursday early so I can have the drive shaft at the shop early to get it shortened. same day service if early... So by Thursday afternoon I should have this question of fitment answered...

5714964-518_727_500_904_Car_Craft.jpg

s-l1200.jpg

1191021.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

That graphic does not tell the whole story about the mount position. The 46RH and 46RE have a different pattern. You have the old style 727 904 mount. Have you tried to attach it to your 46RH trans yet?

In your original post you showed the trans upside down. In that picture you can see two bolt holes next to each other and then one more hole several inches back. That is the three bolt pattern these transmissions use for their mount brackets.
My later truck used a completely different trans mount setup for the 727, and it appears to be what they did to allow either a 727 to fit or a 46R series.

I will go out and find the 727 mount again and add the picture, just for reference. I thought I took pictures of the 92 D250 while taking it apart but I don't see them.

Here is the 727 trans mount setup from my 89 Ramcharger. There is a u-shaped bracket bolted to the trans. There is a large shaped adapter bracket on the bottom that matches the crossmember. And sandwiched in between is the actual rear trans mount with rubber insulator.

IMG_8401.jpeg

Now here is the actual 46RH setup that came from the 92 D250. There is a shaped bracket on the bottom of the trans. Notice there is no bottom adapter. On this one, the trans mount with rubber insulator mounts right onto the crossmember.

IMG_8402.jpeg

The main problem I think you'll have trying to run the old style 727 mount and crossmember is that I "think" the whole setup will raise the rear of the transmission too high, throwing off driveline angles. You may end up needing to cut the center out and fabricate a new flatter center like one of the two I have shown. I suspect the large diameter of the overdrive unit required the shape change in the crossmember to get the angles correct.

The main problem I think you'll have trying to run the old style 727 mount and crossmember is that I "think" the whole setup will raise the rear of the transmission too high, throwing off driveline angles. You may end up needing to cut the center out and fabricate a new flatter center like one of the two I have shown. I suspect the large diameter of the overdrive unit required the shape change in the crossmember to get the angles correct.
So I did a ****-ton of thinking an measuring and some drinking last night, and now I'm laying under my truck as I'm pulling the transmission and you are right. The stock crossmember and mount will push the trans to far up towards the floor of the truck... ugh so I start searching for a local holley swap mount for the 46rh/re and I fumble across this vid and after some thought I've decided to make this modification. So we'll see...
@the 5:30 mark he start talking about his setup.

I took out a 904 (998?/999?) from an 88 D100 I had back 30 years ago and put in a "518" (46rh) in its place.
88 was the first year of the Mopar rwd OD tranny's but I don't remember if it was a "mid year thing" or if you had the option when you went to buy a new truck that year but my particular truck was originally a 3 speed auto that I changed to a 4sp/OD auto.
I remember having to do something with that rear mount but it's been too long since for me to remember. I know that I didn't cut and splice the cross member. Maybe the cross member was the same and I just had to change the mount and add the 3 bolt adapter plate to the output shaft housing? Like I said I have CRS.
I'm considering doing the same thing to my current 85 d150 and am planning on going to the junkyard to find a cross member from an 89-93 d150 to take care of it this time.
Like I said / considering options, / it's a /6 truck, and the /6 is staying for the foreseeable future.
It's currently a 727, that was factory trans for this rig, I have a choice between that, the a500 and an 833OD, all of which I have right here.
One of the things that bugs me is that I've put 727s in in place of 904s and a518s in place of a500, but never the other way around.
And being that the 500 is a904 basically in the front half it seems like id be going backwards.
And yes I have the means to mount a SB trans behind the/6.......

So I did a ****-ton of thinking an measuring and some drinking last night, and now I'm laying under my truck as I'm pulling the transmission and you are right. The stock crossmember and mount will push the trans to far up towards the floor of the truck... ugh so I start searching for a local holley swap mount for the 46rh/re and I fumble across this vid and after some thought I've decided to make this modification. So we'll see...
@the 5:30 mark he start talking about his setup.

Moonbuilt Garage has some pretty good Mopar content. I have been subscribed to his site for a while. Worth checking out. Carry on.

Okay so thrash more than I had planned. Kinda got into a rhythm and before I could even think about it I had the trans in and for **** sake, moving that crossmember worked like a dream. The 904 tailshaft was at 86* ^ and after install using the farthest mount point and moving the crossmember back 5" the 46rh tailshaft came in at 87* ^ and it doesn't look half bad either.
The only real issue is I had to make two small relief dents in the tunnel, relocate my frame mounted elc. fuel pump, and modify my patc setup. But that really wasn't much of a problem. Tomorrow first thing I have to drop off the drive shaft and pickup a few exhaust gaskets and a new oil filter. Just eyeballing at the moment I will have to mod my driver side exhaust tube where it cuts over to the passenger side but that's not even an issue. I'll post more tomorrow. :p

20240327_132002.jpg

20240327_184335.jpg

20240327_184340.jpg

20240327_184356.jpg

Looks like it worked out pretty well! I'd say the holes in the top of the frame rail for the new crossmember location will be fun to drill...lol. Right angle drill adapter time!

Sure thing, when I get home tonight I'll get a few pic's and the measurements you need!

I got the hub from transpartsonline.com I'm also getting the front hub spacer from them as well.
Just check your stuff over real well if you get stuff from trans parts online. I’m building a 42RH right now and had to order a new pump. I ordered it and after not hearing anything for a couple days, I called out there around 8:30 AM California time and I think I woke the dude up. he said he thought he had a pump but not the right one, so he was getting one and it should go out in a day or two. I did get a pump about a week later and just this morning went out to the garage and the new pump is only assembled with two bolts, one of them being a garden variety hardware store bolt. Going to open it up and check clearances, because, just because.

Just check your stuff over real well if you get stuff from trans parts online. I’m building a 42RH right now and had to order a new pump. I ordered it and after not hearing anything for a couple days, I called out there around 8:30 AM California time and I think I woke the dude up. he said he thought he had a pump but not the right one, so he was getting one and it should go out in a day or two. I did get a pump about a week later and just this morning went out to the garage and the new pump is only assembled with two bolts, one of them being a garden variety hardware store bolt. Going to open it up and check clearances, because, just because.
Let us know what you see on the inside.

-
Back