A833 fitment

-

l6hmus

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm searching for a a833 trans for my Valiant 69 project.

So far I have managed to buy a 318 (from a 74 roadrunner) engine with an a230 (that doesn't fit) and a flywheel with it.

Also I have found 2 A833 trans for sale near me.

One is from a 64 Valiant with shifter, shift rods, bellhousing, clutch fork and as I understand a drive shaft (from a 318cid ).

The othe one is a A833 with a bellihousing nothing else. The owned doesn't know from what car it's from, but I seems to by a A body trans with a ID number: C-96561 H (from a 318cid ).

The price is the same.

Because I don't live in USA those are my only 2 optionst at the time and because those trans cost big bucks around here I don't want another trans just to sit in my garage.

Both are from 318 car.
So my question is which one to choose and why?
As I understand the 64 trans has a thing called a "ball-and-trunnion front U-joint". Does this cause many problems even if I get a driveshaft with my car.
Does the drifshaft even fit my 7 1/4" rear axle (have a plan to swap it in future anyways).
Also does the 64 trans need some kind of a different z-bar etc ?

thanks.

I'll add some pictures of the 64 trans:

2013-09-20%2014.15.13.jpeg

2013-09-20%2014.15.25.jpeg

2013-09-20%2014.18.05.jpeg

2013-09-20%2014.18.49.jpeg

The 64 will work, but a drive shaft will be spendy. Do you have pics of the other trans? What was it out of?

On either 4 speed you will have to use the z bar from a 67 and later. I would probably use the one from a 64 since it looks to be virtually complete (less money you'll have to spend. I'd convert the ball and trunnion flange to a slip yoke conversion - any decent drive shaft shop should have the parts. There's a write-up at the early Cuda forum on this. I will be doing the same conversion on the 65 Barracuda destined to go to my son in the Netherlands.

sent from my iPhone

Hi,

I would get a driveshaft with the 64 trans:

2013-09-21%2013.27.39.jpeg

The other trans looks like this:
WP_000724.jpg

WP_000727.jpg

After seeing the picture of the 2nd available transmission, I'd still go with the 64 since it's a virtually complete set-up. The conversion to a slip joint from the Ball and trunnion is in this article: http://www.earlycuda.org/tech/ujoint.htm I did not see a speedometer cable unique to the early A transmissions nor a flywheel; however it should be not too difficult to find them.

Few things I'm thinking, 1st I would tell him to keep the drive shaft if you get the early one, it will be costly to ship it and I would think you would not want to run a b&t style anyway, 2nd no speedo drive may be a problem for you with the early one, 3rd if thats an aluminum bell on the later one that would make my decision right there for the weight savings alone. I agree that the early one is more complete but a shift fork is cheap and you dont know how good the shifter is with the early so you might want to upgrade anyway. Just food for thought.

The trasport cost isn't a issue with these tranny's because they are 150 miles away from where I live.

Kristjan.

Also why is the b&t style so bad, that I have to convert it to a slip joint?

Does it breaks or need maintenance and the parts are hard to find ?

Kristjan.

the early one's bell is for 9" clutch, the alum bell will accept the larger clutch assy. Have you got a flywheel yet?
I have never used a B&T to speculated the advantage/disadvantage of one to the other. I only wonder why Chrysler went away from using it in '67?
The later slip yoke should be easy to find and if I am not mistaken it is the same for a 727 auto and will use the larger u-joint.

The later slip yoke should be easy to find and if I am not mistaken it is the same for a 727 auto and will use the larger u-joint.[/QUOTE said:
Yes, unless it is 26 spline. I think the 727 only came 30 spline.

I have a flywheel and a clutch from a A-230 that came with the motor, it that would fit, it would be nice. Any one knows that ?

I could get a clutch and flywheel with the newer 833 for 200 euros (new).

Kristjan.

Also why is the b&t style so bad, that I have to convert it to a slip joint?

Does it breaks or need maintenance and the parts are hard to find ?

Kristjan.

Its basicly that the design is outdated and U joints are far superior, they also can be hard to find rebuild kits for.

the trans with the bolt on drive shaft can be converted to a slip joiint or a conversion shaft is available,,, it probably has a 3.09 first gear,,,which will get you off the line a little quicker,,, im pretty sure the 69 valiant wheel base is a little longer then the 64 ?? im not sure what year they got longer,,,if so the drive shaft wont be long enough,,
and with that bell housing as stated you can only get a 9 inch clutch in it,,,which would be for a stock 273 v8,,, that trans will fit a later 1967 and newer bell housing which will allow the more modern 10.5 clutch,,,,shifter linkage is hard to come by for the A BODY,,, Brewers has reproduction kits,,,

-
Back