A833 gearbox and starter

-

l6hmus

Reaction score
Hi,

A have 2 questions:

1) Is it possible that slant six with automatic gearbox and smallblock 318 with 3 speed manual share the same starter ? They look the same.

2) Do I need a bracket between the bellhousing and starter because at the moment the flywheel rubs agents the starter "theet". It only needs 0,003 or a bit more clearence (I don't have the bellihouse dust cover yet will this do ?).

My combo is:
318 Small block, A833 gearbox, I used the A230 bell used before behind the same 318, used the same starter used before on the 318 and A230.

Kristjan.

All gear drive starters bolt up to all engines which were designed for them. That is, there are some heavy trucks, etc, which used different starters. That is, you can take a starter off a slant and install it on a 440-6 bbl. It might or might not crank as well as what was on the 440

But there ARE differences. Some are "heavier duty" and have a longer motor housing. Nowadays, most guys are going to "mini" starters. Mid 90's Dakota 360 for example.

All gear drive starters bolt up to all engines which were designed for them. That is, there are some heavy trucks, etc, which used different starters. That is, you can take a starter off a slant and install it on a 440-6 bbl. It might or might not crank as well as what was on the 440

But there ARE differences. Some are "heavier duty" and have a longer motor housing. Nowadays, most guys are going to "mini" starters. Mid 90's Dakota 360 for example.

Even a V6 Dakota with a V6 Magnum motor will work. Just thought I'd add that.

-
Back