-

340jam

Reaction score
Well here it goes my first thread.
I have 3 A833 trans 1. from 73 340 Dart Sport 2 One came from a
65 Dart GT But has a 1967 date stamp on it. 3rd one came out of
I think 71 B body I got it for parts.

My question is I wanted to use the 67 trans but front bearing retainer
is smaller than the hole in the aluminum bell hoising.
I'm thinking the holes should match.

The older trans had a cast iron bell housing and I think it came from
a 273 motor.

The motor in front of the trans is a 71 340 bored .030 purple shaft stock cam from 1971 pistons are o decked and heads have the big valves in them Should be in the factory 275 HP.

Can the insides be switched from older trans to the newer trans.

The short answer is yes. The trick is to measure the pilot hole in the bell housing and go from there. Sounds like you have an OD bellhousing. I think you can replace the front retainer and be good to go. A lot cheaper and easier than swapping main housings. Also make sure the crank has a pilot bushing or bearing to center the trans input shaft.

The short answer is yes. The trick is to measure the pilot hole in the bell housing and go from there. Sounds like you have an OD bellhousing. I think you can replace the front retainer and be good to go. A lot cheaper and easier than swapping main housings. Also make sure the crank has a pilot bushing or bearing to center the trans input shaft.
Would love to just change retainer but there is a 1\2" difference in the bolt pattern. There is a very big difference hole size in Bells at least an inch. Motor and older trans came from same car 65 Dart GT so it's drilled for pilot. Can one buy a retainer for older trans to adapt to newer bell.

Thank You for any help

You can have a spacer machined that will slip over the bearing retainer with a snug fit. And machine the OD to fit the bell..... Very simple and a lot less work. I made mine, or any machine shop can do this for you...

Just out of curiosity, why does the input retainer have to fit perfectly in the bellhousing? The bolts that hold the trans to the bellhousing should locate it pretty accurately as well as the pilot bushing. I'm almost certain mine is no where close to being the same size, the trans is a 73 and the bellhousing I'm fairly sure it an OD aluminum setup. I haven't been running any adapter and so far it doesn't seem to give me any issues.

You can have a spacer machined that will slip over the bearing retainer with a snug fit. And machine the OD to fit the bell..... Very simple and a lot less work. I made mine, or any machine shop can do this for you...

thats what also did few years back alote cheaper and
less work (to find parts)

Well here it goes my first thread.
I have 3 A833 trans 1. from 73 340 Dart Sport 2 One came from a
65 Dart GT But has a 1967 date stamp on it. 3rd one came out of
I think 71 B body I got it for parts.

My question is I wanted to use the 67 trans but front bearing retainer
is smaller than the hole in the aluminum bell hoising.
I'm thinking the holes should match.

The older trans had a cast iron bell housing and I think it came from
a 273 motor.

The motor in front of the trans is a 71 340 bored .030 purple shaft stock cam from 1971 pistons are o decked and heads have the big valves in them Should be in the factory 275 HP.

Can the insides be switched from older trans to the newer trans.

better take the newer trans you have
the side covert and fork suppose to be stronger
synchrostop are larger and work alote better
if you wanna rebuilt it mancini offer a nice rebuilt kit(bearing)
make sure you dont try to mix od trans part and the other
they doesnt have the same ratio and the gears are
as I can say back ward as the other(3 and 4 gears)

Just out of curiosity, why does the input retainer have to fit perfectly in the bellhousing? The bolts that hold the trans to the bellhousing should locate it pretty accurately as well as the pilot bushing. I'm almost certain mine is no where close to being the same size, the trans is a 73 and the bellhousing I'm fairly sure it an OD aluminum setup. I haven't been running any adapter and so far it doesn't seem to give me any issues.

The retainer aligns the input shaft of the trans with the center of the crankshaft. If they aren't in very close alignment you'll have difficulty shifting & you'll likely start eating the centers of your clutch discs & the front bearings of your trans, leading to a lot of other nasty stuff that can happen. Just stabbing the input shaft of the trans into the bearing in back of the crankshaft isn't enough.

Would love to just change retainer but there is a 1\2" difference in the bolt pattern. There is a very big difference hole size in Bells at least an inch. Motor and older trans came from same car 65 Dart GT so it's drilled for pilot. Can one buy a retainer for older trans to adapt to newer bell.

Thank You for any help

I think Brewers Performance can help you with a retainer that will work with either trans.

-
Back