A833 maincase decode

-

sydcuda

Reaction score
Hey fellas, I've just managed to pick up an A833 over here in Australia for my 4 speed conversion. I havent picked up the tranny yet but the seller has sent me the following info re: stamping:

"maincase is stamped H3 over top of
> 097622 Tail housing C98708H (maybe not 9 or H, but I think so) Side
> plate: C956842 and the date stamp 3-29-68"

I cant find any info on the net to decode the above codes, would be particularly interested to know what the maincase stamping translates to.

Anyone?

Cheers.

Hey fellas, I've just managed to pick up an A833 over here in Australia for my 4 speed conversion. I havent picked up the tranny yet but the seller has sent me the following info re: stamping:

"maincase is stamped H3 over top of
> 097622 Tail housing C98708H (maybe not 9 or H, but I think so) Side
> plate: C956842 and the date stamp 3-29-68"

I cant find any info on the net to decode the above codes, would be particularly interested to know what the maincase stamping translates to.

Anyone?

Cheers.

those are CASTING NUMBERS , pretty much USELESS in trying to decode the trans .

Can you post a picture of it if you are unsure of whether its an a body or b body trans , only possible options in 69 .

There is a raised pad on the right side of the case with STAMPED numbers , that will give you a little more info , like what is might have been in and when it was assembled .

All the transmissions , 23 spline and 18 spline used the same maincase that year , it was cast in 69 , the only difference is the machining for the front bearing and the bearing retainer bolt pattern .

Thanks JohnRR, your answer pretty much clears things up for me. I was wondering what those codes meant, if anything, particularly the "H3" number. I havent taken delivery of the box yet but I do know its an A body.

Much appreciated!

Thanks JohnRR, your answer pretty much clears things up for me. I was wondering what those codes meant, if anything, particularly the "H3" number. I havent taken delivery of the box yet but I do know its an A body.

Much appreciated!

I have no idea what that H3 is , but you have all the info you need at the moment , as long as no one has messed with it it's a 68 cast 4 speed trans for an A body .

those are CASTING NUMBERS , pretty much USELESS in trying to decode the trans .

Can you post a picture of it if you are unsure of whether its an a body or b body trans , only possible options in 69 .

There is a raised pad on the right side of the case with STAMPED numbers , that will give you a little more info , like what is might have been in and when it was assembled .

All the transmissions , 23 spline and 18 spline used the same maincase that year , it was cast in 69 , the only difference is the machining for the front bearing and the bearing retainer bolt pattern .
What if the raised pad is not there? Mine doesn't have it and i have no idea how to figure out what year it is

-
Back