A833 Tailshaft Questions

-

Glue Man

Reaction score
I'm in the process of gathering parts for my 408/A833 swap. All I can seem to find is the 833's with the long tail shaft. What is the solution to this? Can I move my tranny mount? If so, how does that work with the shifter? It seems like that would not work but I definitely could be wrong.

Or maybe Im not looking in the right place for a short tailshaft to swap them out?

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance everyone.

google tonymopar & check out his website , he sells rebuilt units for $695 i believe , worth it by the time you find a good core & buy the parts + time & labor ......

The long tail housings are for B and E bodies. The short ones are A body only, I think you can use the tail shaft housing off one of the later A body OD trannys.

Bill S.

Sorry for the confusion, yep I did mean the 4spd OD trannys.

Bill S.

I have a short-tail four-speed that needs a rebuild, but should be just the ticket for you to convert over to the short tailshaft if you have good long-tail transmission already.

Jamie Passon's rebuild is what I put in my car, and it was top-notch. I can't say anything about the prior poster's mention, but I know Passon was money well-spent.

To swap short tailshaft you need at a minimum the short housing and short mainshaft. They can be small, 66-67, or large, 68 up. OD can be large or small but the mainshafts are different from the standard 4 speed.

-
Back