a833 trunion to slip yoke style?

-

74360duster

JEREMY
Reaction score
can the trunion joint tailshaft be replaced with a slip yoke style just by switching output shafts and tailshaft housings?

can the trunion joint tailshaft be replaced with a slip yoke style just by switching output shafts and tailshaft housings?

It's been 20+ years since I had both apart at the same time, but if my memory serves me correctly there were other issues that kept it from happening. The gear ratio may also be different between the too shafts.

Just have the driveshaft guy do a flange style driveshaft , I had two of these done, no big deal .

Steve

my brother has a 833 thats torn apart in a bucket. said would trade me my small block lake wood bellhousing for the parts to swap it and he would do it. i would prefer to have the slip yoke style so i can just use my driveshaft i have in my coronet.
i was told the trunion style 4spd is not as strong. is this true? if its ok i may just leave it alone..

just have a driveshaft shop set you up with the trunion slip setup (including driveshaft) unless you plant to convert over to slip yoke cause you plan on changing transmissions to the same in the future.

The trunion setup is heavier duty with a third bearing design.

You can swap the trans output shaft and housing with the purchase of a gasket kit.....Cheap, easy, and correct.... no one-off oddball driveshaft either, whats that gonna cost?

sounds like i'll get the gasket ordered and swap the output shaft and tailhousing. then my drive shaft behind my auto will swap right over. of course my donor car already has the trunion and has the drive shaft i was just told the trunion behind a big block is weaker than the slip yoke.

-
Back