a833od behind 383

-
That casting number of 2892482 is a small block bellhousing with the small 3.354 bearing retainer, it wont fit the 383, or the OD trans, you will need a bell with casting number 2468372, and have the opening for the bearing retainer opened up to the size of the bearing retainer on your trans. You will have no problem getting rid of the bell housing you have now if you want to.

The 833 OD is strong enough for a stock 383, especially if you aren't planning on racing it. There's a few members over on Cuda-Challenger that have run 833 OD's behind 440's that have been to the track numerous times without breaking the transmission. And that's in a heavier car.

A cast iron case would be the way to go though, as it eliminates one of the weakest parts of the 833 OD. Still, even an aluminum cased OD should live just fine behind a stock 383 that doesn't see much track time. It may not last as long as an iron cased 833 because the shaft bearings will eventually get sloppy in the case, but on the street that shouldn't be something that happens overnight.

This is a very cool but happy coincedence as Im going with the 833 o.d myself behind a 400. I looked and looked,but the other o.d options are $3000 and up. Sothe A-833 overdrive it is.

I't should be just fine as long as your not going drag racing all the time. The main thing is the ibr diameter,or inner bearing retainer. 4.8 is the big block ibr,5.12? id the o.d size and 4.32 is the small block o.d. So you can have the o.d ibr ground down to 4.8 and then drill out a small block bell to 4.8. Brewers also has new bb bell housings.

I didnt know about the lakewood option,allthough it is pricey it sounds good.

My self I would bush the entire case if it's alum and you want to pound on it. It will help,but only go so far. The real problem is the smaller diameter main shaft..

Here is my set up. 440-4 speed with the od tranny, around 550 HP, Street use only, Oh yea i come on to it all the time, no problems ever, other than always looking over my shoulder for the poky.

-
Back