A903 issues

-

Coastie

Reaction score
Hey guys, thought id give my luck here in the trans department. So ive got a 72 dart swinger (/6 with 3 on tree) but i have 2 issues with it.

1: when in neutral and foot off the clutch, i hear a whirling sound. It goes away when i press in the clutch.

2: when it was cold, it would bind going from 1st to 2nd unless i double clutched. When i had it in a shop to fix a fuel leak (they fucked things up), i told them to grease the linkages while they had it. Well i pick it up, and one of the issues with it now is that it pops out of 2nd now. At 1st it was just falling out if i didnt release the clutch soon enough. Now it pops out the moment i start to release the clutch. The shop is claiming bad synchros, but it didnt do this before i left it with them and started within an hour of picking it up.

Thoughts?

20180119_174151.jpg

Hey guys, thought id give my luck here in the trans department. So ive got a 72 dart swinger (/6 with 3 on tree) but i have 2 issues with it.

1: when in neutral and foot off the clutch, i hear a whirling sound. It goes away when i press in the clutch.

2: when it was cold, it would bind going from 1st to 2nd unless i double clutched. When i had it in a shop to fix a fuel leak (they fucked things up), i told them to grease the linkages while they had it. Well i pick it up, and one of the issues with it now is that it pops out of 2nd now. At 1st it was just falling out if i didnt release the clutch soon enough. Now it pops out the moment i start to release the clutch. The shop is claiming bad synchros, but it didnt do this before i left it with them and started within an hour of picking it up.

Thoughts?

View attachment 1715133356
Okay you need to stay grounded brother! I was just writing a big answer for you on one part of the Forum and you already start another thread here on another part of the forum! Slow down. Get back to the first one and let's get this fixed!

Okay you need to stay grounded brother! I was just writing a big answer for you on one part of the Forum and you already start another thread here on another part of the forum! Slow down. Get back to the first one and let's get this fixed!
Haha thank. Just figured the transmission section would probably be more appropriate.

Haha thank. Just figured the transmission section would probably be more appropriate.
It probably is! But you got started over there and I gots to hurt on big long answer so damn it! LOL stay grounded similar so I can answer I don't want to be answering to threads LOL then don't worry about it my answer is probably the worst one anyways!

Your shift problem could be syncro ring related but the whirling noise when the clutch is not depressed can only be transmission bearing related. When the clutch is depressed & the car is at standstill, everything inside the transmission stops turning. Either the input bearing is shot or the needle rollers on the countershaft have worn the case hardening on the countershaft itself. Worn slider dogs or interlocks could be the reason for the trans wanting to jump out of gear, or indeed maladjusted shifter rods could be another reason.

-
Back