A904 complete rebuild.

-
D5D83701-FA31-4D70-87D8-E9E0CEC80985.jpeg

Used this as my very makeshift slide hammer bolt is from the rear of the transmission’s support bracket.

10EDC38D-94B2-4A5C-B3C1-50249A853738.jpeg

I don’t see and deep scratches on this piece.

I've never liked the paper filters. They are not for performance. I much prefer the brass screen type filters. They will flow some fluid.

I will keep this in mind.
If you're going to use one of the performance screen filters make sure you buy an oil pan with a plug in it. That way you can change it more often as the screens don't keep out the fine stuff..
Remote they're meant for performance and people who change their transmission fluid because they race...

As far as the brass filter being for race only, that's not true. It's more of an "old VS new" thing. The paper filters did not show up on the scene until sometime in the mid to late 60s. Before that, all that was used was the brass style. There's no denying though, that the brass style does flow more, which is certainly a benefit in performance and racing applications. More fluid flow = less wear to have particles in the fluid, so it's kinda a dual benefit. In the end, it all boils down to personal choice.

Completely apart and I have seen no actual metal wear throughout the rest of the transmission. I will still take another look at every part but I might’ve got lucky. Might just be those shredded clutches, and all of the gunk from them trapped in all of the flow areas. I will send pictures of all of the pieces individually tomorrow.

Completely apart and I have seen no actual metal wear throughout the rest of the transmission. I will still take another look at every part but I might’ve got lucky. Might just be those shredded clutches, and all of the gunk from them trapped in all of the flow areas. I will send pictures of all of the pieces individually tomorrow.
You will want to blow the valve body apart and clean that up... I always buy a Transco two shift kit.. It comes with the instructions on the valve body and correct adjustments... And if drifting is your thing a transco 3 full manual shift....

You will want to blow the valve body apart and clean that up... I always buy a Transco two shift kit.. It comes with the instructions on the valve body and correct adjustments... And if drifting is your thing a transco 3 full manual shift....
Is this going to change how harsh it shifts my wife won’t drive the car if it does.

Plenty of great suggestions, BAnd M transmissions has a kit that I researched heavily. Last time I priced it it was about $275. It will hold 500 hp. It seemed to me that performance kits available are for 72 up.

Last edited:
Yeah I got lucky with my year I’m still trying to fight the right valve body kit.
Why not go with a manual reverse valve body, screws right.up. Absolutely no chance of missing a gear.
Absolute control of the transmission 24/7/7/365. Include a 3500-4000 stall converter , your golden,
If you think in anyway like I do, make it so that you can have assorted hp and still use the transmission .
I would recommend this shifter:
B and M Pro shifter, with a reverse lockout
Edit: Pro Stick

PXL_20230307_231918691.jpg

PXL_20230307_231903512.jpg

Last edited:
-
Back