A904 for 360 Magnum

-

Abodysrule

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I'm planning a 360 magnum install in my '67 dart. Will the TCI Streetfighter A904, sku 111300P1 be a proper fitment? I'd rather use an A904 than a 727. Thanks all.

brian

I will point out this is merely a fitment question. I realize HP and other factors will affect proper choices.

Depends on the year of your 904.
Pre '68s had a different convertor snout (and thus crank flange pocket) size, and the input spline count and diameter also changed.
If the 904 is original to your '67, you will need an adapter bushing for your Magnum's crank hub in order to properly fit the torque convertor. The other option is a custom built convertor.
If your trans is '68 or later, you should be good to go.

If you’re keeping the fuel injection and using the factory crank sensor you’ll have to notch the bellhousing. Not a big deal. And with the magnum flexplate you’ll have to elongate one of the bolt holes for the converter. Also not a big deal. Other than those two things and the early torque converter hub issue it’s a bolt on deal.

Also, I’ve never used TCI but I’ve heard enough horror stories about their transmissions that it would make me hesitant to use one. Do some research before making a decision.

OK, so this would be a 360 Magnum crate engine and a new transmission, so pre-'68 comment I don't think applies (unless I'm misinterpreting it). TCI tells me that this A904 will bolt up to 360 Magnum and small block LA, same pattern. Re the FI, I will be using aftermarket FuelTech throttle body injection, same as on my slant, so only needs reprogramming for v8. Regarding "TCI's transmissions" aren't they just rebuilding OEM A904's to their specs? I am using the '67 style, single post, neutral safety switch on my slant's A904, so I'd want to use the same one on the new tranny.

If you can't build a 904 yourself, you're better off having a local shop build you one - it's not difficult. I've read too many horror stories about TCI transmissions to ever buy one from them.

To answer your question, yes, the 5.9 will bolt up to a 904. I have a TCI 727 in a vehicle right now, and I don't care so much for it.

OK, wow, I've not heard those stories. I'd be interested to learn what the issues are with TCI, if anyone has any anecdotes, please share.

Mopowers, I see you're from Sacramento. I'm in SF Bay area, do you know of a good shop that you use? Sacramento is close for me.

I did learn about the external balance, special flex plate needed (or adapting the holes on an OEM plate) for the magnum swap.

Thanks all.

brian

I see the Cope Transmissions is no longer building tranny's. Does anyone know a reliable vendor for mopar if I don't use TCI?

OK, wow, I've not heard those stories. I'd be interested to learn what the issues are with TCI, if anyone has any anecdotes, please share.

Mopowers, I see you're from Sacramento. I'm in SF Bay area, do you know of a good shop that you use? Sacramento is close for me.

I did learn about the external balance, special flex plate needed (or adapting the holes on an OEM plate) for the magnum swap.

Thanks all.

brian
Unfortunately, no I don't know of any. Maybe start a new thread asking the Northern CA guys who they recommend. Really it doesn't take much to rebuild one of these things. There are great videos and books readily available that lay out every step.

You may want to try A&A. I've bought parts from them and they're always helpful. Home - A&A Transmissions

Problems, specifically, with your TCI unit?
It was bought new and installed by the vehicles previous owner. I don't think there was a 3,000 miles on it when i bought it. Best way I can describe it is like this: It feels like a worn out transmission that somebody installed a shift kit. When you put it in gear, it won't really go into gear if it's been sitting for a few hours, you have to rev it a little - almost like it's low on tranny fluid but it isn't. Then the shift kit "bangs" the upshifts. I don't know, it's the best I can describe. My free - bee 727 that I installed in our '80 D150 works way better.... lol

Skip the 904 and go 727.... Much better choice

OK, so this would be a 360 Magnum crate engine and a new transmission, so pre-'68 comment I don't think applies (unless I'm misinterpreting it).
"New Transmission" still depends on the of the core you start with. (There aren't any "new" transmissions, unless you find an NOS one still in the factory crate. They're ALL rebuilt.) If you have a rebuilt '67 and earlier trans, you will have the issues I described. If you get a rebuilt '68 and later one, you will not. I brought it up because you said you had a '67 Dart- and wanted to foreworn you if issues if your intention was to reuse the original tranny.

Yeah, I get it, no such thing as a new A904.

Great stuff. I'll start a thread in NorCal for a good transmission artist. I could go 727, but I don't need the extra stuff, the A904 is a really nice and capable tranny. Although, if I go 727 there are a lot more vendor choices.

...the cross-member for the A904 is the same as the 727, right? I just need to shorten the driveshaft and get the proper yolk for the 727, I think. Yeah, I may be fighting an uphill battle with finding a good A904, 727's are way more available.

Yeah, I get it, no such thing as a new A904.

Great stuff. I'll start a thread in NorCal for a good transmission artist. I could go 727, but I don't need the extra stuff, the A904 is a really nice and capable tranny. Although, if I go 727 there are a lot more vendor choices.
Why are you against running the 727? Unless you are going for a PB ET, it’s stronger than the 904 and will last longer.

Thanks all.

brian
My PTC converter is drilled for both the LA and Magnum flexplates.

Thanks all. No, I'm not at all against the venerated 727. I think it's just what one is used to and that the A904 is lighter and still very strong. I won't be running 500hp or anything, maybe 350hp so likely 400ish lb ft of torque. An A904 will handle that easily. Chrysler built some damn good transmissions. I may well just go with the 727. Thanks for the A&A reference!

Looks like A&A has some pretty good selection of A904 and 727 builds. Thanks again.

-
Back