A904 hard shifting, jerking, sounds...

-

Schyrjajew

Reaction score
Slant 170 Val with the A904
Since we got it, I immediately noticed things:
For example, when you put it in reverse, it immediately makes a dull sound (like someone hitting an empty oil barrel with a rubber hammer). :eek:

The car shifts hard and jerkily. It is not only clearly noticeable, but also unpleasant.
Especially when downshifting, you are "moved forward".
What can this be? I have always had manual transmissions before.
The colleague said it could be the universal joint at the rear of the driveshaft, but that will hardly be only that. Should I change the oil? Oil level is ok.

Tranny fluid should be red not brown. Check color. Almost sounds like it could be your kickdown linkage. It controls when your tranny upshifts and downshifts. It also controls pressure. Read up on it from former posts you may have a missing spring or sticky linkage. Found this doing quick search. I'm sure there's plenty of info. here.
Help with kickdown linkage routing /6 904

Also linkage is adjustable. You can lengthen or shorten. Just remember where you started (Count your turns) in case that's not the issue.

Check the torque converter bolts.

Replace the u-joints easy and cheap. Usually if not an experienced mechanic you won't be able to tell until you remove them and the rusty needle bearings fall out.

Any jerking is very likely worn parts in the drive line: U joints, axle splines etc.

Or trans internals such as clutches & bands.

Sounds like the kickdown linkage might be adjusted incorrectly. If it is adjusted giving too much throttle pressure, that can cause every one of your symptoms.

-
Back