A904 no shift into 2nd or 3rd

-
You gotta listen quickly at the very beginning to hear the clicking. Sorry about The commentary.
Obviously this is prior to having the exhaust done.

Man! No comments at all? I was wondering if a moderator shut this thread off....
Anyway, I've readjusted everything and it shifts the same.
It’s nice and firm from 1st to 2nd and again haven’t gotten it up in speed enough to see if it will go into drive.
Shifts are loooong! But in 2nd at about 25 I stood on it and it quickly downshifted and holy hell does this thing pull hard! I didn’t stay on it, it’s fresh and really want some miles on it before hammering on it too much.
Friday I’ll be back on it and removing the pan and thinking about backing off the throttle pressure a little.
I’m going to adjust the shift linkage as well, it doesn’t want to catch in park...
it does still have the 68 VB in it and the detent arm (shift lever arm) is a little different than the original. So...
Any suggestions?
I’m guessing it’s all in adjustments from here.

Sometimes u can change the rooster comb from ur other vb. Sometimes not. If u use the old style with no plastic on it the back up lights will be on in drive. Kim

Sometimes u can change the rooster comb from ur other vb. Sometimes not. If u use the old style with no plastic on it the back up lights will be on in drive. Kim
Good tip, they both have the plastic. I haven’t swapped the original back (#1 because it shifts) because the “rooster comb” is loose on the original. I’ll be addressing as soon as I figure out how to. I’m thinking about tacking it in a few places or is there a better or “right” way to do it?
Thanks

First you said it wouldn't shift out of first and a person trying to help asked if it freewheeled, but you never answered them. Then you were asked to check the date codes on the valve bodies and you never answered that question either. Then you said both valve bodies were correct and now it's doing the same thing; "shifting only into second"...That's not the same thing because you first said it wouldn't shift at all. The transmission and drivetrain forum is the only place I go. I for one am not interested in antennas or air conditioning.

First you said it wouldn't shift out of first and a person trying to help asked if it freewheeled, but you never answered them. Then you were asked to check the date codes on the valve bodies and you never answered that question either. Then you said both valve bodies were correct and now it's doing the same thing; "shifting only into second"...That's not the same thing because you first said it wouldn't shift at all. The transmission and drivetrain forum is the only place I go. I for one am not interested in antennas or air conditioning.

Hey, I get it. I’ll keep the “non drivetrain” comments out.

I guess I forgot about the freewheeling comment, I’m not sure what (or when) it would or should be “freewheeling”.

When in first at speed if I let off the gas it does what I would call “freewheel” just as my 1970 Challenger with a full reverse manual valvebody does. Both VB’s did the same thing but I was thinking that VB modifications allowed for that.
I did say that both of the VB’ mounting areas look identical, not correct.

After I removed the VB the 2nd or 3rd time I was still doing some other tuning on the motor to get some runnability issues figured out so not wanting to run the trans with no fluid I filled it back up and since I had the new deep pan and Mopar gasket I went ahead and buttoned it all up. Car is on stands and again, I was doing some initial tuning and decided to put it in D and R and top fluid up and see how curb idle was.
I then let off the brake in D and it rolled through first and shifted into second on its own. I did nothing different, so at that point I decided a test drive was needed.
It was kind of late and I only went about a 1/2 mile and came back.
It still would “freewheel” in first if I let off in 1st (D location)
Got on the main road and it shifted out of first at about 40mph, (? Should have paid better attention I know) ran it up to about 60 but ran out of road before I could see if it would go on into 3rd.
And I apologize about not saying the dates on the VB’s.
The one that was originally in the transmission is dated 73 and the one in the car I haven’t had back out to look at since asked but I checked the Challengers transmission it came out of and it’s actually a 1970 date 727 transmission, I was thinking the VB had a 68 stamped on it but I will double check when I pull it to change the “rooster selector” and be back with that info.
I Guess I was waiting to see what it was before commenting about it.

Hope this clears the air, I’ll be sure to stick to the discussion from now on.
Thanks and I do appreciate everyone’s help with these issues.

Plus it was late and I was meaning to post the under hood and questions to my build thread, not here.
I’m old and confused!

there were case and vb changes around 71 which can cause accumulators to vent improperly. Pics of the case from the bottom and the vbs from the top would be nice. There would be four date codes; two from each vb; top casting and bottom casting.

The governor is the first "go to" on no shifts and no engine braking. (free wheeling)

Well, it does engine brake in second.
Just not in first, but again I think that with the TCI shift kit it allows freewheeling and shifting into first at any speed but I’ll revisit the terrible instructions again and double check this weekend and readjust everything for a 3rd time.

So it took me longer than last weekend to get back on this thing but I pulled the valve body and checked the date, the one in the car currently is a 1970. The one originally with the 904 transmission is a 1973.
I backed off the throttle pressure and adjusted the linkage and it shifts all the way into the third on its own without an issue. Yay!
I still have to take the “rooster selector” out and swap it with the 1974 so that Park will engage.
I want to thank everybody for the help they have given thus far.
My question now is, would anybody have experience fixing the rooster selector? The one that I need to use has come loose and spins freely not allowing gear selection.
I was thinking of putting a couple tack welds on it but if there is a better way to do it I would really like to know.
Thanks in advance.

Do both have the rooster comb? Post some pics if u can. Do they look like this? On some it isn’t just changing the linkage, it’s more to it than that. Kim

D21314C2-CB35-4E8F-A4A6-80701534E249.jpeg

9E9CE5FA-A6F1-4431-8F91-33CC487D1965.jpeg

681EF754-28AB-4B04-BBDB-0E1BD75C9D24.jpeg

Do both have the rooster comb? Post some pics if u can. Do they look like this? On some it isn’t just changing the linkage, it’s more to it than that. Kim

View attachment 1715356014

View attachment 1715356015

View attachment 1715356016

They look just like that, the 73 has a different shape that obviously stops at a point on the valve body where the 70 does not. The 70 is keeping the detents from stopping when in park. (Or not engaging in park)
I swapped the park Rod when I swapped VB’s. (727 to 904) so this wouldn’t be a problem.
I’m now wondering if I’m my haste I didn’t install the correct park rod...

-
Back