A904 rebuild on 66 Dart 270 w/info

-

Sheldon Belden

Reaction score
well I'm in the beginning stages of the rebuild I got the tranny pulled last night. Started painting the odds and ends Mopar orange! I'll attach pictures when it's done. I pulled the valve body off and a little spring went flying where does it go? I'll attach a picture of the spring and we're I think it goes!

IMG_1006.JPG

IMG_1005.JPG

IMG_1004.JPG

IMG_0985.JPG

That looks to me like it should go with a ball bearing and its mounted in between the grooves where the gear select goes, the same spot you are pointing at in the first pic.

Jake

That's what I thought there should be a check ball there I have no idea we're it went but I'll find it. Thank you!

Back on top!! Good luck with the rebuild. I just did mine 3 weeks ago but im still a ways away from finishing the engine.

Jake

Well fortunately my grandpa did that before his health prevented him from working on it. Now that I have the valve body out I noticed the bands are super loose will that cause it to slip between 1-2 gears

Well fortunately my grandpa did that before his health prevented him from working on it. Now that I have the valve body out I noticed the bands are super loose will that cause it to slip between 1-2 gears

I had the same issue and it turned out to be the clutches, i would give the valve body a really good cleaning as well. You can check the band adjustment regardless but my thought would be clutches. There are a bunch of guys that work on these everyday and can tell you how to correctly adjust them.

Jake

Well 1.5 hours into cleaning the tranny with a toothbrush wire brush and brake cleaner with alot of elbow grease I've made a dent in cleaning 25 years of dirt and crap off of the tranny getting closer to painting! Am I making it harder than it needs to be? Any ideas? :BangHead:

IMG_1018.JPG

Looking good! It took my forever to do mine and its nowhere near as clean!

Jake

I figured since it's getting painted I wanted it completely clean... it's going to take awhile that was about 2 hours worth of work and about A third of the way done.

I figured since it's getting painted I wanted it completely clean... it's going to take awhile that was about 2 hours worth of work and about A third of the way done.

Once it's all apart take the case to a local trans shop and ask them to throw it in the cleaner for you.
They use a hot acid bath like a big dishwasher that works pretty darn good, and for the most part they come out factory aluminum clean.

Just an FYI, bands being "loose" doesn't mean anything as how the material on them looks is if you know they are ok or not.
For example, being able to move the front band side to side an inch or so is normal for a front band that is not applied.

There are a few of us that can help you if you get stuck on anything, but a good portion of the info is already out there on the internet via google and youtube.

So in the process of cleaning I found a reman sticker on the tranny... if I'm not mistaken these bands are brand new.... there's no wear marks

IMG_1020.JPG

I had the same issue and it turned out to be the clutches, i would give the valve body a really good cleaning as well. You can check the band adjustment regardless but my thought would be clutches. There are a bunch of guys that work on these everyday and can tell you how to correctly adjust them.

Jake
So everything looks great I went ahead and ordered the clutch packs and the transgo tf-2 shift kit from summit and of course the seals and gaskets

Thats what my band looked like and i replaced it anyways. When you get into it you realize its kind of an easy process. Good luck.

Jake

Thats what my band looked like and i replaced it anyways. When you get into it you realize its kind of an easy process. Good luck.

Jake

They are so inexpensive it best to just replace them, and since that band is basically second gear it doesn't hurt to get a better one. (Like Kevlar)

This sticker was on the transmission this is a reman sticker right? Are the numbers a date code by any chance? Here are the numbers 20 1349 M187

IMG_1025.JPG

Narrow type wire wheel that fits into an electric drill will take most of the hard crap off if you want to do it at home. Check the bolts that hold the two pump halves together, a lot of the times I find they are loose or not to spec.

Narrow type wire wheel that fits into an electric drill will take most of the hard crap off if you want to do it at home. Check the bolts that hold the two pump halves together, a lot of the times I find they are loose or not to spec.

Yeah that's what I ended up doing it's about 2/3 done now. I found a 1 &1/2" wire wheel to get the tight spots.

-
Back