a904 stator sealing rings...

-

joshua dewitt

Reaction score
I resused the a904 stator sealing rings, (metal ones) and the bushings in drums look real good, so reused them to, was recently rebuilt before I got it. but what I have is full clutch apply , get thud noise... and all bands/etc apply, but have excessive air leakage form the center area where the drums ride together on the stator shaft, assy, well I my opinion is more that normal, for air checking when doing a rebuild, how much is acceptable? should I take back apart and install Teflon scarf seals? or am I over thinking it. just finished the tf-2 valve body overhaul modification rebuild. and ready to install next. so I f I need to this tis the time to do it...

Did you inspect the sealing surface and test fit the rings in the drum before you used them?
You asked this before and I mentioned that a lot of air does get by those rings where fluid doesn't nearly as much.
If you have the "thud" on the apply with air you are probably ok.

Believe it or not, Teflon rings are a lot harder on the metal surfaces than the steel rings and in my opinion leak more.

Did you inspect the sealing surface and test fit the rings in the drum before you used them?
You asked this before and I mentioned that a lot of air does get by those rings where fluid doesn't nearly as much.
If you have the "thud" on the apply with air you are probably ok.

Believe it or not, Teflon rings are a lot harder on the metal surfaces than the steel rings and in my opinion leak more.
Ok there is a thud. Not as strong as i would have liked. @45 psi applying yp to 60 psi. Tried pouring fluid down passage ways the air checked. I took a bath in fluid. No i didn't test fit the rings 1st. Didn't. Think of it. So it sound like i will be ok. I guess i can. Carry on. And install the valve body. And get my ptc converter ordered. 9.5 " 2200-2400 stall.

You say you reused the rings. At the cost of a ring kit, I'd put the used ones in the scrap and put new ones in. Rings do wear.

You say you reused the rings. At the cost of a ring kit, I'd put the used ones in the scrap and put new ones in. Rings do wear.
Agreed and I have never taken any out that looked very bad, even ones with a lot of miles on them. They wear like piston rings, as they wear the end gap opens up so they don't seal as well

-
Back