A904 Woes.. not working right..

-
What would you say is the advantage there ?
I see none either way pertaining to that ..
But strength and endurance being in a truck .. GO 727!
Did you swap that 904 in there? As I said before especially in that time frame I have a hard time believing the 904 would have been stock on any truck around then.... What's so great about the 904?

What would you say is the advantage there ?
I see none either way pertaining to that ..
But strength and endurance being in a truck .. GO 727!
Did you swap that 904 in there? As I said before especially in that time frame I have a hard time believing the 904 would have been stock on any truck around then.... What's so great about the 904?
Well, 1st, it appears to be an A-998...std. 'teener fare w/4 frictions. It really should be upgraded to to A-999 specs, or an A&A kit, and prob. the 3.8 lever.. I didn't state it was great, just that it will require a new/shortened prop-shaft & large slip-yoke, and a SB A-727 may not be falling out of the rafters for Him on the cheap.
You are correct, it is definitely NOT the original juice box, We'll all get to see how it holds up with the parts & kit the OP installed.
I wish Him good luck,...NOT racing, or hauling, or towing....:lol:

Yeah if they just haul a few groceries and don't tow much of anything it might be alright. Hopefully they needed it up where they could to give that little trans. A chance....
If a 998/999 it would definitely be a newer unit than the truck, as they weren't thought of yet in 72

After Holiday update; transmission is installed and runs and drives well. I drove it over the holiday week and am very happy with the positive shifts and firm feel.
Today was my first early morning drive into work on the fresh build and it didn't skip a beat.
Thanks for everyone's input.

Ummm.. Update , truck is driving well and it feels strong with firm shifts. BUT ever stoplight or Stop sign I take off from I see @volaredon and @Killer6 Post saying this transmission is not up to snuff in this truck behind my stroker motor...

Soo late lastnight my buddy and I bombed out to Los Vagas to pick up a 46rh :D
Got a KILLER deal on this so I couldn't pass this one up.

Plan is to build it strong but that will be whole nother thread.

20231201_151921.jpg

20231201_151925.jpg

Last edited:
Ummm.. Update , truck is driving well and it feels strong with firm shifts. BUT ever stoplight or Stop sign I take off from I see @volaredon and @Killer6 Post saying this transmission is not up to snuff in this truck behind my stroker motor...

View attachment 1716173149

View attachment 1716173150
Whle I agree the 727 is stronger, the 904 has proven to be stronger than many thought... But a 46RH will be a great upgrade.... Next you'll be looking for a little more gear in the back..

View attachment 1716173149

View attachment 1716173150

Keep us posted with how it goes, I plan to put one of these in my D200 at some point. It drives nicely with 3.54 gears in the D60 rear and 33" all-terrains but the gas mileage sucks (10 MPG no matter what), I want to switch to smaller highway tires for less rolling resistance and better acceleration but then also reduce the cruising RPMs.

I've seen more than one transmission guy say to beware of the spring in the OD unit. They say you need a press to get it in and out safely, and also a tool made specifically for that. Someone on here made a tool to use in the press, but I can't remember who it was.

I've seen more than one transmission guy say to beware of the spring in the OD unit. They say you need a press to get it in and out safely, and also a tool made specifically for that. Someone on here made a tool to use in the press, but I can't remember who it was.
I did, I made a tool for the 46 rE OD unit I was going to put in my 65 Barracuda. I still have it and will use it for this build.

:thumbsup:

Awesome! Be sure to show pics of it again if/when you do a build thread on the 46RH. I kinda thought it was you or the guy who built the cool 64-65 Valiant.

:thumbsup:

Keep us posted with how it goes, I plan to put one of these in my D200 at some point. It drives nicely with 3.54 gears in the D60 rear and 33" all-terrains but the gas mileage sucks (10 MPG no matter what), I want to switch to smaller highway tires for less rolling resistance and better acceleration but then also reduce the cruising RPMs.
Smaller tires will increase cruise rpm.

-
Back