A999/A500 Aluminum or Steel planetaries?

-

MoparPowa

Reaction score
I intend on putting a 42RH behind a 5.7 hemi in my 66 Dart and I see listed on wittrans there are both 4 pinion steel and aluminum planetaries for both front and rear. The OD has the option for a 15* 6-pinion planetary, which the only one I know of from my research is aluminum. Is there any problem with using these aluminum planetaries in a street car? I read an article that said the later released A999 steel-style low gearset planets were actually weaker than the original aluminum ones. Thoughts?

We replace all the aluminum planets in the Torqueflite transmissions we build with the steel ones. Got piles of um to go in the scrap run. At the risk of another infraction, that's my thoughts.

We replace all the aluminum planets in the Torqueflite transmissions we build with the steel ones. Got piles of um to go in the scrap run. At the risk of another infraction, that's my thoughts.

Noted. That would mean the steel 15* 5-pinion planet for the OD is more durable than the 6-pinion aluminum, correct?

Another infraction?

Thanks for your help.

Noted. That would mean the steel 15* 5-pinion planet for the OD is more durable than the 6-pinion aluminum, correct?

Another infraction?

Thanks for your help.

Well, Rodney races Mopars and owns the transmission shop here where I run the office. He doesn't use the aluminum pieces in anything. Not even stock replacements.

Well, Rodney races Mopars and owns the transmission shop here where I run the office. He doesn't use the aluminum pieces in anything. Not even stock replacements.

Alright, I figured steel would be the smarter choice, especially on the street, always hear that in every other situation(conn rods, etc.). One more question, only the 5 clutch direct drums used the wider 1.610 bands right? So even a modified 4 clutch drum couldn't use the wider band? Or would it be more preferable to have 6 clutches in a modified 4 clutch drum with a 1.375" kickdown band? Hopefully I'm not making a fool of myself asking these questions, never built a transmission before.

Thanks again for all the help.

-
Back