A999 transmission slipping. Second time.

-

JoePole1

A dude in a B body
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Hey all. Awaiting a tow. Figured I would get this out there.
I've got a head scratcher here. Bear with me. My 904 went south (bands worn) so I got a used a999 from a friend, cleaned it up, removed the valve body and inspected. Adjusted the bands to spec along with cable kickdown. Test drove ok. Took it for a 15 mile ride. 45 minute stop. While driving home it started to slip. Dropped into 2nd and still slipping. Pulled over. No reverse either. Called for a tow. Level good. Not burnt. Only thing I noticed is that the transmission lines do not feel hot.
I had previously installed another used a999 and it did the same thing after a few miles. I figured that one was bad. In between I had low flow out of the radiator to the trans but I back flushed it as well as the lines. Thinking this has to be something external.
Questions? Can over temp fluid cause slippage? I run type F. Is that ok in a lock up trans? When I get it back home I will try to run it (cooled down) and check flow through the radiator again. I can also hook up an external cooler. Any thoughts appreciated.

Bands adjusted too tight. (not backed off proper turns after tightened to 72 in. lbs.

Lockar cable not adjusted right to apply proper movement of pressure valve (kick down).

Not running enough pressure adjustment, burned the bands out of it.

☆☆☆☆☆

Bands adjusted too tight. (not backed off proper turns after tightened to 72 in. lbs.

Lockar cable not adjusted right to apply proper movement of pressure valve (kick down).

Not running enough pressure adjustment, burned the bands out of it.

☆☆☆☆☆
Thanks George. Bands adjusted to spec. 4 and 2.5 turns. Lokar cable applying no pressure at idle. Will revisit adjustment procedure. After waiting for a tow was able to drive onto and off of flatbed.
Drove around neighborhood and shifted fine at first then slipped in all forward. Reverse ok. Let sit 20 minutes and drove in driveway. Was able to power brake in forward and reverse. Seems like temperature and or flow is an issue. Will check flow in and out of radiator tomorrow.

Question: when you had the pan off cleaning and inspecting was the pan clean or clutch material inside and did you drain the T/converter and inspect for any debris, is it the same T/C used in last trans?
When you filled it up how many qtrs. of aft did it take?
If all was ok above it sounds like with a few tools will learn how rebuild a a999, very simple trans.

Yes. Drilled a drain hole in the converter and flushed then welded up the hole. The TC was the one I got with the transmission so different from the last.

Good to know, you answered 2 questions, what about the other 2?

Update. I checked the flow in and out of the radiator again. Once again low flow back to the trans with good flow into radiator. I had back flushed it prior to install but did not check flow assuming problem solved. Bypassed radiator with external cooler with good flow in and out now but transmission is toast. Rebuild time.
I have never looked inside the lower part of a radiator but I don't understand how it still has blockage. For the back flush I removed the return line, installed a hose, poured trans fluid and blew air until I got clean fluid coming out of the radiator inlet. Repeat 3x.

U need to replace the cooler in the rad. They plug up pretty good. A radiator shop can do that easily. Or find another known good radiator. Or use the rad which u have already have. General Motors has a flush in a spray can that they have approved for their cooler flushes. I believe u use 2 or 3 cans. Kim

Last edited:
The last trans swap I did was a 46re into a Durango. I went thru 5 cans of "Kooler kleen" plus disconnected the lines and blew some right into the lines the cooler in the radiator and the one in front of the radiator and the replacement lasted 3 months.
I have another one going in and this time I replaced the radiator ( warrantied the 10 year old "lifetime" one from O'Reilly's that I initially put in on the road after Bambi ran out in front of me) and am replacing the external cooler too.
I'm not sure what happened to that 3 months old trans, it came from a junkyard but looked like it was a very fresh rebuilt when I removed it from the u pull.... Don't know if it was my cooler, or not rebuilt right or what. I do plan on pulling that one apart to see one of these days, I rebuilt the original one to go back in

-
Back