AAR Cuda exhaust

-

smlblk318

Reaction score
I have an opportunity to score a complete exhaust system minus the mufflers. My question is will it fit on my 72 Dart with little to no mods? What is a good price to pay?

Sure, you can make anything fit, but you'll never make it look like it belongs, because it doesn't.

I have a car with the mufflers exiting in front of the rear tires (fenderwell headers, mufflers along the rocker panel). I hear only half of a v8 that way, and I don't care for the sound.
If you are trying to do an aar style exhaust on your dart, you might want to check out the price of those aar mufflers. I'm betting you will be unpleasantly surprised!

I have a car with the mufflers exiting in front of the rear tires (fenderwell headers, mufflers along the rocker panel). I hear only half of a v8 that way, and I don't care for the sound.
If you are trying to do an aar style exhaust on your dart, you might want to check out the price of those aar mufflers. I'm betting you will be unpleasantly surprised!
Actually I'm good with it. AAR style without the price

Screenshot_20230820-061735.png

I had a Roadrunner that I put headers and that style exhaust.
It was loud.
If you didn’t like it, you could always turn up The Doobie Brothers.
I wish I still had it.

That is a matter of opinion. I had a crude homemade version where it existed in front of the rear wheels on a dart about 15+ yrs ago and I thought it looked badass.
Imo, Well if you did it once before the answer should be obvious. Just make sure that the mufflers are tucked up tight because AAR/TA cars had specific hangers and hanger locations. Nothing that doesn't belong originally is going to be a "simple" job.

Just think, you are putting an E body exhaust system in an A body. There "WILL" be modifications that need to be done, take your time, plan it out and then enjoy it.

The balance tube would have to be five feet long, and there really isn't any place to put it. I've looked!
For your application I can see your point with running fenderwells but for a typical dual exhaust system which is what I'll have, what I posted would do just fine.

SCORE!!! Even though the head pipes will not bolt up to my manifolds, the tips alone are worth the price that I paid. I'll be looking for a set of manifolds like in the second picture. If I can't find them, I'll be bringing the head pipes to the Nationals next year

Screenshot_20230820-083326.png

Screenshot_20230820-100340.png

Last edited:
It's still gonna sound like a half V-8. I would never think that it's COOL, but it's your car. Will sound like all the Chevy pickups that used to do that. Dud.

It's still gonna sound like a half V-8. I would never think that it's COOL, but it's your car. Will sound like all the Chevy pickups that used to do that. Dud.
So what you're essentially saying is that all the cudas that had this exhaust sounded like crap? That's funny:rofl:

Yes, and the TA's too. I was in the parts department at a local Dodge dealership in 1970, those cars off the floor looked good, never cared for the one sided sound, and they were dogs on top of it. Don't get me wrong, I liked the looks and concept, but it stopped right there. We ALL have our tastes.

Yes, and the TA's too. I was in the parts department at a local Dodge dealership in 1970, those cars off the floor looked good, never cared for the one sided sound, and they were dogs on top of it. Don't get me wrong, I liked the looks and concept, but it stopped right there. We ALL have our tastes.
Having owned a T/A & having driven a few that I didn't own I surely wouldn't call them dogs.... Not a quick as a 340 A body but faster than just about every 383 B/E body I've ever driven... If your expecting a 12 second car your gonna be disappointed, but for a 1970 small block powered mid sized car they were plenty quick...

Yes they sound "different" than typical V8 dual exhaust but there's also plenty of typical v8 dual exhaust that doesn't sound very good...

The short answer is no, the floor pans and frame cutouts are completely different. I attempted to put a used A-Body exhaust in a E-Body and took some effort to make it work. In short I just bent it low to clear stuff, in no way was it good, it was temporary so it didn't matter.

Alan

My friend restores them, he also owns maybe 10 at any given time. I personally have not driven one since 1970. I never considered them quick, not off the floor, but having said that, of the 4 or 5 cars of both types, in the Quad Cities, no one did anything to them. They just drove them, and one from our dealership went to Australia. We could argue all day long, in the end, everyone has their own tastes. I still like them, but I am an A Body guy.
Good exchanging with you guys! Hang in there!

20221101_190849.jpg

-
Back