Abilene, Texas???

-

glockr

Reaction score
Anyone on this site live in or near Abilene, Texas? I was stationed there from 1985-88. Got out of the Air Force and moved back to California b/c all my friends and family are here. Now family is mostly gone and I'm fed up with California/Nevada, have pretty good memories of Abilene. Used to watch street races on a street paralleling I-20 just east of town, and there was a biker bar (Humble Dump) just across the highway. Last time I went through (early 2000's) the city had put speed bumps on the street that was raced on and the bar looked like it got converted to a hip-hop joint. Still like the area though, and thinking of moving back since I'm retired now, and my youngest is graduating high school in the spring.

So - back to Abilene... is it still a relatively conservative town? What's the car scene like these days? Do they still have good BBQ joints?

Abeline and Amarillo are on my list too. Lack of an inland waterway moves it towards the bottom though.

Just a heads up, what you are longing for is an Era, not an area, a time not a town

Even if you find your way back, you may find that during the time you were gone things changed

So often we look back at places we have the best memories of and in our minds, we view them as books
The moment we leave, we close the book and everything stops

Then decades later we expect to open to book back up to the page we last read and expect everything to be the same

Only to realize it is not like a ook, but more like a movie thst kept playing while we were in the other room
And even though we weren't gone for very long we've missed a few twists, can no longer follow the plot line and some of our favorite characters have died

Last time you were there was 3 odd years ago. I say, seldom does anything remain the same... gets bigger or smaller, better or worse, etc/

I could be wrong but I bet Abilene is pretty conservative for a decent size city.

I suggest you learn as much as you can about today's Abilene but make the trip there and spend a week. Not that terribly far from Dallas/FW and it has plenty of car stuff. Good luck.

-
Back