? about lock-up 904 trans

-

73Duster

Reaction score
I have a lock-up 904 trans and was wondering if this can be converted to a non lock-up. I know the converter and input shaft are different, is there anything else that would needed to be changed? Are the trans cases the same between lock-up and non lock-up? Any help with this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Doug

Doug,
IMHO the easiest thing to do would be to get a non-L/U 904 and use it. Short of that, you would need to change the input shaft, pump, torque converter and valve body. You would also have to block the L/U feed hole in the case or replace the case. Non-L/U cases to fit 360 are avbailable from 72-86. The valvebody and case modification should be easy if a "full race" or "high performance" shift correction pkg is installed. Hope this info helps. Abe

Thanks Abe. The trans came with a 360 engine I had bought and I was just wondering what it would take to convert over. I will look for another trans. Thanks again.

you can just run your lockup converter mopar sells high stall versions, and block off the lockup lines in the valve body....
if ya got a good reanny there no reason for another one!

you'll see a tube going front to back in the valve body.. it's the line to the lockup unit on the valve body... it can easily be unbolted and blocked off

DJVCUDA,
So if I disconnect the lockup line from the valve body will the converter still be a lockup or will it be like a regular converter? Thanks for the info.

you will be eliminating the hydraulic lockup...

-
Back