ABS headliners

-

canyncarvr

Reaction score
Re: '73 2-door Duster

I've read a handful of threads about the subject, have not found an answer to this:

Does the front glass have to come out to replace the liner?

Years past, I simply assumed that was the case. I mentioned that to an interior trim kind'a guy awhile back, he said the liner would fit through the front door. That seems unlikely to me.

I've read threads with the liner being replaced while the windshield was out for other reasons. Also some threads when the mention of the back window being out was mentioned. In no case have I read of someone putting in a plastic headliner without having one or the other out having been specifically mentioned.

On a warm day, maybe the plastic flexes a whole lot more than I think it might.

No. The windshield gasket is just pulled back and the headliner is placed under it. In some cases, the headliner material may need to be trimmed a little. I have done 4 and all of them had the glass in place.

I did mine about 6-7 years ago and I did not have the windshield out, I did have the front seats removed. It was able to be installed with no glass removed. 1972 ABS Headliner purchased from Classic Industries. The windshield gasket was pulled back and headliner was placed under it. Like Kern Dog said.

Not to derail the original topic, but could one of those ABS headliners be made to work in my 67 Valiant 2 door post? I have a roll cage going in, and there is no way I'm going to screw around with a fabric headliner and bows. Just wondering if anyone has done this before.

Helpful to know the windshield doesn't have to come out. Thank you for the information!

Experience is an excellent teacher, especially when it's someone else that's done the work!

Not to derail the original topic, but could one of those ABS headliners be made to work in my 67 Valiant 2 door post? I have a roll cage going in, and there is no way I'm going to screw around with a fabric headliner and bows. Just wondering if anyone has done this before.
On a guess, I'd say yes....If one was made for a Scamp, it may work for a Valiant post car. The Duster/Demon/Dart Sport roof design is narrower and shaped differently. I don't know of the ABS headliner is offered for the 72-76 Dart/Valiant models though.

-
Back