ABS Questions(2001 Ram 1500)

-

tiltsix

Reaction score
Well about 2 years ago I was on my way home from the lake and hit a deer with my truck (pulling my 14 foot bass boat).No real damage other than front bumper.My question is the abs light came on right after I slammed brakes and hit the deer.The truck still stopped fine.I replaced the sensor in top of rear end (only 20 bucks) but it didnt make the light stay out.Now my brake light is on abs light is on and speedometer only works when it wants.Also sometimes when I put on brakes I can feel abs pulsing through brake pedal and it takes more pedal pressure to stop(Very scarry)Any Ideas would be greatly appreciated. By the way it is 2001 Ram 1500 Quad cab 5.2 automatic with about 200,000 miles on it .Runs and drives great and I love it.

Sounds like an electrical issue. However, on my F-150, the combination of the ABS light and the break light indicates a potential failure in the break system. Might be worth getting a checkup.

Get a volt/ohmmeter and check the two pins on the rear sensor. If it's bad, it will read an open circuit. If it's good, I believe it's supposed to be around 2K ohms if I remember right. You CAN get bad parts from time to time. Also check the fluid level. Stupid as it sounds that can sometimes do some screwy things. If the rear sensor checks good, you can remove it and make sure it is CLEAN. More times than not, it's always somethin simple.

Do you have a autozone or auto parts store in your area that can read the code in the computer? In my area they will read and clear the codes for free to get the parts sale.

Autozone has cleared the codes , said they didnt know what the codes meant.I have replaced pads and shoes and even topped off fluid.I bought a code scanner at Harbour Freight today . Ill post codes if I cant figure it out. Thanks all.

Check the speed sensor. I told you how.

i change a lot of those sensors when i worked for dodge,it's very possable that 2 year old sensor is bad,speedo only working at times is a good sign.

-
Back