AC Compressor Clutch repair

-

gzig5

Reaction score
I have a 2006 Sebring with 2.4l four cylinder that had the AC compressor clutch pulley bearing fail. I'm surprised the thing didn't launch the pulley, the bearing was so worn out. Because of that, the spring loaded clutch plate ate the spring features and the friction plate is now just loose. I can't seem to find anything in the aftermarket to rebuild it besides the bearing. The clutch plate is not available. I'll start looking for a clutch plate or compressor assembly from a junk yard but wanted to try to repair this thing to see if it will still work. Anyone ever rebuild a clutch like this? I am trying to avoid having to pay a shop to replace the entire compressor which requires capturing the refrigerant and all that entails. I'm pretty sure the compressor is still good and it blew cold air last fall.

My first thought was to try filling the cups with silicone, which may be flexible enough to allow the plate to pull into contact when the coil engages. Probably won't work but I want to give it a shot.

9C957D68-FCD8-464F-BE55-43081A827969.jpeg

88645A62-A918-4B28-B58E-3DA15295F790.jpeg

This is what it would look like new, but for whatever reason, they don't offer for this car.
3A54A5E3-7ED7-4BB8-9D7B-831592869882.jpeg

Last edited:
IMO Due the heat from the damaged bearing you should replace the compressor assembly.

Dealer probably can get the parts, but you will possibly find out they are more than an aftermarket compressor. Refrigerant is cheap. My labor charge on that job would be $100 (sedan or convertible 1.1hrs)

Dealer probably can get the parts, but you will possibly find out they are more than an aftermarket compressor. Refrigerant is cheap. My labor charge on that job would be $100 (sedan or convertible 1.1hrs)
Hadn't thought about trying a dealer for the parts. Will look into that. Will try to hot wire the coil to make sure it is still viable first.
But if the labor to R&R the compressor would be around $100, I would definitely do that with a new compressor setup. I thought it would run more. It is easy to remove, once on the lift about five minutes to have it out.
I just replaced the pulley bearing and left the clutch plate off so I can at least put the belt back on and drive it. This is a beater car that I got for my son to start driving with and like most kids I think he is pretty rough with it when I'm not around. I know I was at his age. So, I don't want to dump a bunch of money into it, but can handle a few hundred here and there to keep it running reliably.

-
Back