AC installation update 4/12/2024

-

TrailBeast

AKA Mopars4us on Youtube
Reaction score
All buttoned up after the removal of the stereo, ashtray assembly, heater controls and glove box.

I probably wouldn’t have had to remove all this, but I had some electrical sketchies that I wanted to deal with while I was in there anyway.

The Classic Auto Air instructions said to remove the glove box liner, and I had seen where some said a new smaller liner comes in the kit, but it was pretty cheesy.
My kit didn’t come with one, so some measuring showed I could just trim out the lower left corner and the original liner would fit.
Glad to see that, and it gave me a place to put the control unit so it’s accessible just in case.
I can pack some foam in there to better close up the opening so any small things don’t get lost.

CAA didn’t have any control panels I liked, and I didn’t like the slide controls anyway, so I ordered the knobs only and made a mounting panel of carbon fiber to match the dash cover and gauge pod.

I’ll be doing a video of the install, with my pros and cons of the entire system before long.

IMG_5395.jpeg

IMG_5381.jpeg

IMG_5384.jpeg

You know what works excellent for closing up the hole in the back of your plastic glove box liner?
1712935416930.png

No joke. A layer of this on the inside, and a layer on the outside and you'll never have to worry about it again.
On my '66, I had a one-year only molded cardboard liner that was disintegrating, and for which there are NO reproductions. I pieced it together as best I could, then sprayed it inside and out with Flex Seal, which has made it nearly indestructible for years now.
Now that I've added AC and had to trim the glovebox, I just covered the hole with the tape. Looks like it will last for many more years.
Side benefit: The rubberized coating keeps stuff in your glovebox from rattling around too much and driving you crazy...

You know what works excellent for closing up the hole in the back of your plastic glove box liner?
View attachment 1716235499
No joke. A layer of this on the inside, and a layer on the outside and you'll never have to worry about it again.
On my '66, I had a one-year only molded cardboard liner that was disintegrating, and for which there are NO reproductions. I pieced it together as best I could, then sprayed it inside and out with Flex Seal, which has made it nearly indestructible for years now.
Now that I've added AC and had to trim the glovebox, I just covered the hole with the tape. Looks like it will last for many more years.
Side benefit: The rubberized coating keeps stuff in your glovebox from rattling around too much and driving you crazy...

I totally agree, as I was thinking Gorilla tape, but I don’t have any at the moment.
I do know I’m not pulling it back out again. :)

-
Back