AC Suction Service Port

-

MZimmerman

Reaction score
Hello. I am working on converting my R12 to 134-a... Wasn't an AC car before. 71' Valiant 360. Everything is installed except hoses which I just got. Cut off old hose and got Beadlock fittings for new hose. High side should be OK. although I burned a hole in the tube trying to un-sweat the old crimp fitting. (not cool). The suction side has a monster original crimp that when I tried to un-sweat actually melted the pipe in two. (also not cool). Took forever to find the correct hoses and I thought I was being very careful. I can braze the pipe back together but I have a couple questions...
1. Why were the original crimp fittings brazed to the tubing, and do I need to braze the new fittings?
2. My suction hose has a service port up by the temp tube hole, but there is nothing in it. When i blow through the tube it blows right out through there. Is that suppose to be a Schrader Valve?

Thanks

Answer-
1. The factory stuff was silver-soldered, or brazed, sometimes formed w the end, not a regular solder joint. Big temperature difference and slightly different process. This was done before the hose was crimped. There are various services to replace the hose with barrier hose for the 134a, could have saved you the trouble. No brazing is required.

2. Pics would help, but I suspect you are referring to the expansion valve compensation sleeve. That is not a service port. It's about maybe 1/8", 3/16 i.d. or so?

Last edited:
Ahhhh. You are right, the expansion valve screws on there. Got the tubing brazed together and have the crimp tool. THANKS!!!

-
Back