accel billet street ?

-

63dartman

Reaction score
I'm getting ready to install a new distributor and the directions say to use a coil with less than .7 interanal resistance and no ballast. I understand how to do those but I don't quite get how the mopar ecu plays into this since it only puts out a 6.8-7.3 signal(not sure on exact numbers but remember these from somewhere). Should I get rid of the ecu and go with the accel controller unit? The instructions say it will work with other controllers. I'ts just a magnetic pickup distributor. Part Number: 52301

oops, that is supposed to be internal not "interanal" LOL. Not sure if that should go in the blue forum:)

It's the ignition module, not the distributor itself, that determines what sort of coil you need. Use any coil that works with the Mopar unit if that's what you are using. Accel's directions probably assumed you would install it with their ignition box, and chances are the coil specs just got cut and pasted from what their box needs.

The Accel #52301 distributor is a ready to run unit. It has the control module built into it and you do not use the mopar ecu with it. You can use an Accel, MSD, Mallory or Crane Capacitive Discharge ignition box with it but its not required.

All you need to do is hook power to it, make a ground connection and hook the third lead to the (-) of the coil.

The reason for the very low primary internal resistance coil and no ballast resistor is the control module inside the distributor can vary the dwell over the rpm range which will keep the coil from over heating.

Thanks for the help, looks like I need to do some more reading. I Didn't think this was a ready to run unit.

(Checks Accel website)

Ok, turns out the one I was thinking of was actually the 59301, which is the one with just a magnetic pickup. The 52301 contains its own module, you don't use the Mopar ECU unless you've gotten very creative with its wiring, and you'd need to follow Accel's recommendations with coils. Thanks Dave, sorry to get the wrong distributor.

Thanks for the help guys, Installed the distributor yesterday. Nice unit, runs perfect without the ecu. I used a msd blaster3 coil with my setup and it idles alot better. Still haven't had a chance to drive it though. I started with 12 degrees of initial timing and the nechanical gives me another 22. I also hooked up the vacuum advance and that is another 10*. I did have to clearance the firewall more since the accel has a larger base circle and cap. The terminal spacing on the accel cap is also spaced farther apart to prevent arcing and such. Thanks again.

-
Back