Accurate LTD stainless exhaust tip review

-
Original assembly line parts many times are different in design/specifications than NOS replacement parts. Chrysler did not make their own exhaust parts and contracted different vendors at different times. Just because we think that we have an exact original part does not mean that all other parts in the market place are incorrect because these do not match our part. For instance, we have 3 NOS tips for another popular application and every one of them are slightly different from each other. Bracket placement for this tip has been used for 15 years which was copied from an original and we have found no reason to change it for one complaint.
The original tips for the 68/69 Cuda had an upward bow to them which made them go uphill in appearance. Also a-body tailpipes had a 5 degree angle applied at the rear to follow the quarter panel angle (Dart and Cuda). This is how we designed our tailpipes as well for this appearance.
Other factors also impact differences in original parts and aftermarket.
304 stainless steel material reacts different when formed than cold rolled steel as the originals were made. It is impossible to get the upward bow incorporated into a stainless reproduction tip without kinking the piece. Hope this clarifies the concerns one might have regarding our exhaust products.

Ah that is a perfect explanation. It is true that from one image to another (of original production photos) there are a lot of variances. What one car had from one assembly plant say in January may differ in March. I totally agree on the 5 degree (sometimes more or less) tailpipe angle. What is so pleasing is that there are more and more individual companies offering parts for our vehicles. I'm in no way making mine look stock- more, just trying to represent the style. I applaud Accurate Exhaust for providing a product that preserves that styling. I'm in no way dissatisfied with the product- just providing some interesting discussion and points before anyone makes a decision on what to buy.

I had the same problem with my repro tips. I called the company and said they hadn't heard of the problem with the new tips having a different mounting position than the stock ones. Sound familiar?

Here is what I came up with as I didn't want to drill a new hole in my frame.

The plate moves the mounting position of the hangers back a few inches so that the tips are in the stock position. I can easily grind off the hanger from the plate if I need to.

Rod

Attachments

• exhaust 2.jpg
    120.7 KB · Views: 279
  • exhaust 1.jpg
    135.4 KB · Views: 296
Yeah, that is a good idea. Keeps from having to modify the car too much. It looks like you have the "other" a-body tips on there- the ones for the later darts, not the ones they now make for the Barracuda (the hanger is a good distance back). As you can see from the photos, mine is just an inch off. I bet I can make a smaller plate (maybe out of angle iron) that I can slide it back and inch like you did without drilling a new hole. We will see.

So can we get some tail pipes with more bend in them to compensate for the straight tips? Any plans to do mandrel bent pipes? Accurate makes some nice stuff but you are losing some sales with the non-madrel pipes.

I'm working on a 67 Dart Gt. Was a factory 273 with single exhaust. I'm going to be installing a 360 and going to dual exhaust. Considering that this car was originally just a single exhaust, what have you folks that have changed over from single to duals found problems with/best methods to hang the new exhaust system?

I'll probably just go to a local shop and have it made up. This is going to be a mild cammed, basically stock engine so I'm not worried about mandrel bending. And the preformed systems are sooooo much $$$. I'm planning on using a set of 2 1/4" "hemi" mufflers that I have sitting around. But this discussion about tail pipes and mounting got my interest. The right side of those cars is pretty tight clearance.

In the thread about "quite mufflers" MileHighDart posted a link to a video with a nice sound bite of his 68. The post said he used Walker Quietflow in 2.25". But I'm curious about the length of them. I love the sound. Just what I want for my car. I think that the hemi mufflers that I have would sound about the same. But I'm concerned about the length. I sent him a PM asking about the length and the Walker # but as of yet no response.

The manifolds... now that's a whole other issue. <rolls eyes and groans>

Karl M.

Our business is basically factory replacement exhaust components. Mandrel formed pipes are a different market so does not affect our business much.
Most of our customers are more interested in originality in fit , appearance and sound. If your requirements are for mandrel bent pipes a good choice would be TTI products. We refer customers requiring mandrel components to TTI and TTI refers customers requiring factory correct components to us.

-
Back