Acid etch primer on plastic trim

-

plugger340

Reaction score
I have a quick question. I was told to use an acid etch primer on plastic before painting but only if it’s unpainted plastic. My Barracuda has factory red plastic trim. Is it safe to use the acid etch primer on it or would that cause the red finish to bubble?
Thanks in advance.

Why would you use acid etch primer on plastic? Acid etch primer is intended to bite into steel to promote a good bond....
Actual acid typically comes packaged in a plastic container because acid doesn't attack plastic.... There are special primers intended for plastics (See Link) that chemically bond with the plastic, that's what you should be using...

Amazon product ASIN B007VTSRZ8

Rather than an acid etch, I'd use some type of adhesion promoter that's compatible with the topcoat you're using. Maybe scuff it with a red scotchbrite if you're worried about adhesion.

Why would you use acid etch primer on plastic? Acid etch primer is intended to bite into steel to promote a good bond....
Actual acid typically comes packaged in a plastic container because acid doesn't attack plastic.... There are special primers intended for plastics (See Link) that chemically bond with the plastic, that's what you should be using...

Amazon product ASIN B007VTSRZ8
Okay, the guy at the paint shop told me to use the acid etch. I would have thought he knew what he was talking about.
Thanks

Rather than an acid etch, I'd use some type of adhesion promoter that's compatible with the topcoat you're using. Maybe scuff it with a red scotchbrite if you're worried about adhesion.
Thanks, I was hoping to paint today but it looks like I’ll be heading back to the paint shop on Tuesday to talk to someone that might know what they’re talking about.

-
Back