Adapter?

-

HemiPar

Reaction score
Hey All. Heres what I have. I've got a 71 Swinger with SBP front factory 4-disk brakes. The rear is a BBP 8 3/4 out of a 65 B-body. The rear is not cut down. I don't like the idea of running around with 2-spare tires. so I would have to use the adapter on the front and only till I get a flat fixed. So here is what I am looking at so far:

Option 1; Is there an adapter out there so I can use with the spare wheel for either front or rear?
Option 2; Or is there a wheel that will fit both SBP and BBP?
Option 3; Should I just try to get 73-up disk for the front?
So I guess I could just fix up a poll but not sure how to do that yet. So just let me know what you would do. Thanks.
Jeff

I would work on getting bbp disc up front. I will be doing that this summer. I am in the same boat as you. One thing I have thought about is the spare tire size, I have the limited slip clutches in my diff, so I am thinking the spare should be the same oustide dia. as the rear wheels to prevent undo wear on the clutches. Any thoughts on this?

same issue here. i am going to try to change the front discs to the bbp. but i have the kelsey hayes disc upgrade on mine so hopefully everything works out for me. haven't tried all that hard yet to locate new discs though.

Here is something that might possibly work for a temp spare only to get you off the road. It is actually for a FWD car but it has 5-100/115 patterns. 5-100 is very close (.063 smaller) to 4" and 115 is very close (.028 larger) to 4.5" The back spacing is 4 5/8" so it should clear there. The only thing that might be a problem is the 72mm (2 13/16") center hole on the 4.5" hubs. You would have to measure your hub diameter to see. The wheel is a 14 x5.5

Follow this link, then clink on the Series 83 wheel an look at #83-4418
http://www.uniquewheel.com/catalog_pg7.html

Chuck

Thanks 340mopar, that is something like what i was thinking, a wheel like that.
Busted knuckles, the tire for my spare, I was thinking of getting the narrest tire but the same dia as the rear tire. So I would not have to worry about the dif. Although my dif is open as of now.
69 modtop, I too have the KH brakes. I like the thought of having 4-piston calipars. I don't think the 73-up have 4 piston. I have found a 78 Valarie with disk brakes. As long as I get the spindles hub, rotors, calipars and cal brackets should work with 73-up upper control arms, which I have already.
Thanks guys for the comments.
Jeff

I have no problem using a 4" to 4.5" bolt pattern adapter just to mount a stare in case of a flat.

I tried running adapters on the front of my '72 Duster years ago. Try it before you depend on it. They set the wheels out to far,and would hit the wheel wells as soon as I tried to turn. I'd go for the switch.

In a perfect world you would swap to the 73-up big bolt brakes.

These brakes are actually a far better brake than the Kelsey's plus parts are way easier to get.Not to mention this will open up a world of rim choices.

I am wanting to go with the 73-up brakes but money will be an issue. I was looking at adapter for short term fix, just in case. thanks all for the replys.
Jeff

I actually have a set of billlet steel adapters that convert from 5 on 4 inch to 5 on 4-1/2 inch. They are about 1 inch thick so it will add that inch to the width of the track. Have had this set for years in my garage. If anyone is interested, let me know.

-
Back