adapting TBI to carb

-

sonier

Reaction score
is it possible to mill out an aluminum plate to adapt a TBI intake to a carb? this would be like a spacer, except spacer bolts to exisiting intake holes. and carb bolts into spacer.

Not 100% sure, but I thiiiiiink....... The Holley TBI uses the same holes as the big 2bbl......

Going 4bbl to 2bbl manifold wold be a waste of time tho, better to find an almost free cast iron 4bbl.

Holley 2d Pro-jection (670 CFM) uses a 2 bbl GM throttle body, with an adapter plate to interface with a 4 bbl manifold. Holley 4Di (900 CFM) uses a 4 bbl throttle body which mounts directly to a squarebore intake.

I think adapters for the 2 bbl TB to a 4 bbl manifold are out there.

problem i have is i got a 1889 dodge 318 with all this module junk. i cant fix this a worth a heck. right now i got no power to my coils. so im thinking about converting to i think its called a hei distributor, and from what i recall i need a carburetor to run this. Im trying im the only person in family who works on there own vehicles.

The Mopar TBI setups from the late 80's were pretty poor! Your thoughts of junking the whole shebang are pretty reasonable. Is this in a 1989 vehicle, or are you swapping this engine into something older?

If you are willing to live with a carb, get an Edelbrock Performer intake, Edelbrock 1406 carb and Mopar Performance distributor/ignition. Option 2 would be the same intake and distributor with a Holley Pro-jection 2Di injection setup. Add a mild cam while you have the intake off (really good time to replace the timing chain and cam sprocket!) free up the exhaust system and you'll have a whole lot better running rig.

You could also build a Megasquirt computer to drive the components you have now.

so what do i need to convert tbi to a carb. cheapest possible just to get my work truck running. i need my truck lol

The Mopar TBI setups from the late 80's were pretty poor!

HAHAHAHAHA!!!!!! Many 300K+ rigs beg to differ............ And then you recommend the 2bbl projection.......... What exactly do you think the Holley system is on the TBI?

That settled, find a cheap 4bbl manifold, a carb, and a electronic distributer...... Hell, if you need your truck, points will even work!

HAHAHAHAHA!!!!!! Many 300K+ rigs beg to differ............ And then you recommend the 2bbl projection.......... What exactly do you think the Holley system is on the TBI?

That settled, find a cheap 4bbl manifold, a carb, and a electronic distributer...... Hell, if you need your truck, points will even work!
thankyou :) now to start working on my truck parts. im gona be broke this christmas off course. and yes i know its a sin, and i feel like i should get shot for it BUT.................i got a backup vehicle....."crys" its a 1994 ford f-150 302 shoot me now and i will thankyou later :)

Where do you live? I have a Rochester, iron 4bbl, for the cost of shipping.......... Took it off a couple months ago, ain't gonna use it for nothing, God knows I have many many more.

any more advice to how i should take this task would be much appreciated :) so far i think i got a GOOOD bit fo info on how to do this. ive googled this over and over and can never find a good article. the only articles ive seem to find are on chevy engines.

also when i get everyting together, im going ot post a how to thread and show pictures steps and all the issues i run into. and with the help of everyone else i am no longer scared to do this conversion.

the exact details of vehicle is this.

1989 dodge ram d-100 stock rebuilt 318, 4wd
i have to check the trans, but its either a 904 or 727, trans was replaced original trans needs rebuild. current trans was from a 1989 dodge ramcharger. so im almost positive its a 904

-
Back