addco Sway Bar install on 64 barracuda

-

BLOW-DART

Reaction score
Just installed an Addco large diameter front sway bar on a 1964 barracuda. attached below are some pictures of the install showing how i decided to install it. my k frame did not have the factory holes nor did my LCA's have the factory tabs. My kit did not come with directions and from what ive heard the instructions are not much help anyway. the L brackets that i welded to the bottom of the K frame look like they could of been bolted, i decided to weld them.

Here are the parts that came in the kit.

105_3981.jpg

The car.

105_3982.jpg

here is a nice shot of how the 46 year old grease and road grime is looking on my car and a shot of the bracket that bolts right onto the lower shock bolt. bracket comes with one side tapered to fit snug inside the lip of the lca.

105_3986.jpg

The very helpful dog....
105_3989.jpg

Here are the L brackets that can be bolted on, tac'd in place. with it being near impossible to get a wrench on a bolt for the top hole i just drilled the whole a hair smaller than the head of the bolt and welded them in place as studs.
105_3998.jpg

Yea i know the welds arent pretty...wanted to make them match the factory look....
105_4008.jpg

the finished look. hangs lower than i like but to move it up any higher the sway bar would be sitting farther forward to clear the forward curve of the k frame and then im not sure the end links would line up at the LCA's. as far as how close together the mounts are. it feels very sturdy and drives so nice! 1 hundred times stiffer! very well worth the 3 hours on a rainy sunday.
105_4000.jpg

I should have a copy of the instructions. If you're interested in seing how they wanted you to install the thing PM me your email & I'll try to send you a scan of them.

That's actually a much more solid way to install them than what the instructions said to do and how I installed mine. I don't like the way the tabs hang down, as it reduces ground clearance, so you might want to consider bending the lower tab on the bars and using a bolt through the bottom of the K-member - just a thought about how it could be further improved. I damaged my installation on an odd drain in the road, smacked the tabs into the pavement.

Now all you need is a Dippy cop car rear bar. That will really balance the car.

Looks great but the ground clearance might be an issue. Did you weld the bracket that goes through the shock bolt? Those become loose over time as the bracket wants to swivel...

That's actually a much more solid way to install them than what the instructions said to do and how I installed mine. I don't like the way the tabs hang down, as it reduces ground clearance, so you might want to consider bending the lower tab on the bars and using a bolt through the bottom of the K-member - just a thought about how it could be further improved. I damaged my installation on an odd drain in the road, smacked the tabs into the pavement.

I was just thinking after i finished that i should of bent those down and bolted up through the bottom. i probably will do that, hopefully before i bash them on something. i dont have the front of the car that low so i should be fine for now.

Now all you need is a Dippy cop car rear bar. That will really balance the car.

I do have a rear sway bar in the garage.....my brother installed a similar one to the top side of the rear end on his valiant, which is what im going to attempt to do. i can live with the front bar hanging alittle low because its still hard to see, but the rear would be very visible if installed underneath.

Looks great but the ground clearance might be an issue. Did you weld the bracket that goes through the shock bolt? Those become loose over time as the bracket wants to swivel...

i did not weld that bracket on. thanks for the heads up, i will keep an eye on them. i plan to pull the front end apart to put LBP discs on and sand blast/paint the whole front end in the spring time. maybe at that point ill weld up those tabs and refine the front mounts.

That's a nice clean looking install. I used that Addco setup on my old 64 and it made a huge improvement. I wanted the mounts to be as close to the wheels as possible. I used the factory lower control arms with sway bar brackets and 73up LBP disks. The sway bar was close to the caliper but did clear. The calipers could have been mounted at the back of the brake.

View attachment CIMG1888.jpg

-
Back