Adding functionality to my Mopar/Jeep shop

-

michformulaS

Reaction score
Had a retired electrician come over today and put a couple 220 circuits into my pole barn. I have 200A service and only maybe 4 15A 120V circuits on it now. This runs the outlets in the walls, a lighting circuit (with one plug) to the unheated storage side of the pole barn. I have a 30X48 pole barn split in half with heat to one side. The heated side (insulated) has a natural gas furnace about 4 or 5 outlets and multiple outlets in the ceiling for lighting. I had him run one 20 amp 220 for a compressor and a 30 amp 220 for a welder to the unheated side. I wanted the noise and welder to be outside of the area that I want basically clean and quiet so I can build another motor/trans in there in the future.

My question is now what compressor and welder should I look for in the next few months. I plan to pipe compressed air around the shop to run air tools mainly and possibly a DA sander on the unheated side (dirty side) from time to time. I want a good hobby MIG and potentially a basic plasma cutter also in the future. My box has tons of capacity left and the electrician is always available so I can add more circuits if necessary.

Next question relates to lighting. I have a dozen 120 plugs or so on two 15 amp circuits already distributed around the ceiling. I bought some cheap florecent lights last winter and it seems a few of them didn't like the cold. I am ready to buy some longer term lights now. Anybody have some suggestions for a shop that might vary in temp due to me being in Michigan.

Lots of questions I know. I am not an electrician and not rich but I am trying to build a great working shop. Any advice would be appreciated. Lift will be next year with a 10 foot ceiling when I save up some more dollars but I will save those questions for later.

Sounds like you have a good plan/start. I'd probably put two air hose reels and two electrical reels in to make better use of the resources you have. I picked my (2) 50' air reels up for $60/ea at harbor freight and have found them to be invaluable. I'd also put a decent water separator/filter inline for any painting you may do in the future.

As far as lifts are concerned, I put this one in for around $1500 total http://naautoequipment.com/tp9kaf.html It works great for low ceiling applications. The only problem I had with it is that it lowered really slow at first and I had to change out the lung valve (customer service was great and sent me a new one). It's still a hair slower lowering than I'd like, but overall I'm happy.

Lastly, I'd invest in a nice workbench and a good vice.

As far as air compressor recommendations, I picked up a 60 gallon vertical Maxus 135psi around 10 cfm from True Value Hardware for $370 out the door. It's only a single stage, but it works for everything I do. If you plan on needing a lot of air, you'll probably want to go with a 2-stage and maybe an extra storage tank.

Attachments

• air compressor.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 212
Are the flourescent lights you are using the 4' T-12 lamps? Those are the fat 1 1/2" diameter lamps. Most of those ballasts have a minimum start temp of 50 degrees.

The 4' T-8 lamps are 1" in diameter and will fit in the same sockets and light fixture. Most T-8 ballasts have a zero degree start temp.

T-12 and T-8 ballasts are not interchangable.

I built a 4' long then 8' L shaped work bench 3' deep out of 4X4's cross braced with 2X4's with a plywood top and a 3X4X8' rolling work bench on casters and have a harbor freight vice that I plan to mount. I am thinking about putting some steel plate on the benchtop before mounting the vice. I want a benchtop I can pound on a bit.

I think two air reels is a great idea. One on each side of the shop. I have seen some plastic air line plumbing options on line vs. iron pipe. I do plan on putting a water separator and filter in line first.

Tractor supply has a decent 3HP 60 gallon Campfield Hausfield compressor around $450. I normally buy stuff from Lowes but the Kobalt unit they have had poor feedback running too hot with alot of condensation. I don't need anything that will run continuously but have a hard time jumping from $450 to $900 for something that I will run just on weekends doing what I think is generally light duty work.....

I bought some cheap 4' T12 fixtures like $10 a piece understanding that they had about a 50 degree start temp but it was like 70 degrees out today and one entire circuit will not start. I figured it was the circuit but it is working fine. I have a furnace in that area so I wasn't worried about the start temp ongoing but they stopped working before I got he furnace running. I tried to start them in about 20 degree weather. Did that kill them? at $10 a piece I am ready to cut my losses and buy something of better quality.

As far as air compressor recommendations, I picked up a 60 gallon vertical Maxus 135psi around 10 cfm from True Value Hardware for $370 out the door. It's only a single stage, but it works for everything I do. If you plan on needing a lot of air, you'll probably want to go with a 2-stage and maybe an extra storage tank.

That looks like a nice compressor at a good price....I will have to see if I can get that model. I have been using my 120V Craftsman 30 gallon portable compressor for the last 10 years or so. It says 6HP on it ????but I know it struggles to keep anything running more than my air ratchet. I have tried to run my DA sander off it. It works as long as you don't mind taking a beer break every 5 min or so. What have you run off y.\our compressor? I know that the larger tank will be a better buffer but I want to run some stronger impacts, grinders, cut off wheels and potentially a spray gun off this in the future.
Thanks

That looks like a nice compressor at a good price....I will have to see if I can get that model. I have been using my 120V Craftsman 30 gallon portable compressor for the last 10 years or so. It says 6HP on it ????but I know it struggles to keep anything running more than my air ratchet. I have tried to run my DA sander off it. It works as long as you don't mind taking a beer break every 5 min or so. What have you run off y.\our compressor? I know that the larger tank will be a better buffer but I want to run some stronger impacts, grinders, cut off wheels and potentially a spray gun off this in the future.
Thanks

I've run my 6" DA without a problem for 20-30 minutes. It kicks on, but I never lose "power". I bought a cheap-o paint gun, but haven't gotten a chance to use it. My 3/4" hausfeld impact and air chisel work great. It works great for airing up tires or just blowing out dust/debris too. When I bought it, it was listed online for $350ish + s.h., but my mother-in-law had worked at True Value and knew the owners very well, so I picked it up for $370 OTD. I've never timed how long it takes to cycle from empty to full, but it can't be more than 2 minutes. I normally have my regulator set for 110 psi and that seems to work great for everything I do.

-
Back