Adjust clutch freeplay

-

4mulas

Fixem'up
Reaction score
is there a 'sticky' or link showing or explaining how to adjust free play on my clutch. A833.

I need to add some free play.

Also my pedal does not seem to return to the top. Is this just a return spring or? It comes up to about slightly higher than 3/4's of its total throw.

Thanks!

Last edited:
I don't know what's in it. Bought the car not too long ago and am adjusting and changing everything that was wrong or needs it. This is on that list.
Small block 340 car with a 4 spd. It works good just needs , more free play for sure as it engages almost immediately off the top"

I don't know what's in it. Bought the car not too long ago and am adjusting and changing everything that was wrong or needs it. This is on that list.
Small block 340 car with a 4 spd. It works good just needs , more free play for sure as it engages almost immediately off the top"
How far off the Floor does it engage ?? If it has a Diaphragm clutch or a Centerforce in it, They tell you to remove the over the top spring above the pedal assy.

How far off the Floor does it engage ?? If it has a Diaphragm clutch or a Centerforce in it, They tell you to remove the over the top spring above the pedal assy.
If the total overall throw is ~7". The first 2"- 2 1/2" are the dead inches where the pedal does not return to the top as mentioned before. This leaves the pedal at about the 4 1/2" - 5" mark off the floor. The clutch works almost immediately when pressed from the 4 1/2" - 5" mark. It's working range is about 2 1/2" - 3". To answer your question, It starts to engage about 2" off the floor.

If the total overall throw is ~7". The first 2"- 2 1/2" are the dead inches where the pedal does not return to the top as mentioned before. This leaves the pedal at about the 4 1/2" - 5" mark off the floor. The clutch works almost immediately when pressed from the 4 1/2" - 5" mark. It's working range is about 2 1/2" - 3". To answer your question, It starts to engage about 2" off the floor.
I like my clutches to release about an inch off the floor, but thats just me. Get a look through the clutch fork hole in the bell, and see if you can determine the clutch style... Diaphragm or Borg Beck. As I stated, if Diaphragm you should remove the over center spring. Other that that , start looking for worn pivot points, worn bushings on the cross shaft and the like.

There is only one actual adjustment........the push rod down at the bell to the fork. But there's "more" to this.........the type of clutch, or damage and wear to the clutch pp and disc.

There's wear in the bushings and parts, there's bending damage to the parts, and there's fracture damage to the Z bar which happens. The tube can crack and "lose travel."

As old as all these girls are, you could have a mismatch of parts. There seems to be a difference in throw in the linkage used on 340 vs slant six cars. I think "Oldmanmopar" documented this, someone on here documented how to mod the short throw setup to imitate the long throw one.

I used to adjust so it released 'about where I want it' off the floor and make sure it releases CLEAN. But "what this" might leave you with, is a pedal that won't quite return to the top, on it's own. Sometimes, adding a "pull back" spring underneath helps. You hook this to the CLUTCH FORK to keep everything in tension, and run it forward so it "pulls" on the linkage. This will often "pop" the pedal that extra little bit to the top

-
Back