adjust roller rockers?

-

kbmadness

Reaction score
It my sound stupid, but I have never adjust roller rockers before. So I'm asking for your help, but I need to see it visual. It's a nasty habit that has been devolved over many years. I guess I should have paid more addition to the books, instead of girls, football and beer.
I'm not sure that I have the right size push rods. My motor is a 340 stroked to a 416. I have crane gold 1.5 roller rockers, the cam was custom ground for my super charger.
I would ask the guy who built my motor, but we have had a bit of a falling out. I read in the book building more HP from a small block, it said that the 340 all most always had a problem with rockers hitting the value spring. He said he checked, but my old ones hit, some badly.
Please help!!!!!!!!!!!!
P.S sorry for the book, Joe

Sorry for having to ask other questions to try and help answer your questions but I'm kinda confused. First, how long has this engine been together and running? Second, why do you think you may not have the right push rods? Third, when you say the rocker arms were hitting the valve springs, are you talking about the ones you have now? Fourth, is the camshaft a flat tappet or roller, solid or hydraulic lifters? If you can clear up some of the details, I'm sure someone here can help.

my 340 is just about back together.

The pushrods (an adjustable push rod was used to get the proper lenght) are custom made for the exact lenght needed. They will be installed and set tomorrow (actually today) and the cam degree'd in

When I had my 273 HIPO in my 1st car I used my Chilton's manual to find out how to adjust the valves, check out a good repair manual on how to adjust them

If you are unsure if it is the correct lenght then I would suggest getting some help from someone that knows how to measure and set them.

Rockers hit because the relief in them isn't deep enough for some valve springs. You need to test fit all the rockers and clearance them as required.

You want about 2-3 threads showing on the pushrod side of the rocker when adjusted. Any more and you start to lever the adjuster and they tend to snap.

Ball/cup is the proper pushrod. After that is squared away, then it,s a matter of length.

-
Back