Adjustable brake pushrod..what did I do wrong

-

Heywodja

The Heartbeat Stops Here
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I have an adjustable brake push rod from Dr. Diff.
I have it installing on the brake pedal, but it will not line up! I have tried it on both sides of the pedal and it is not centered..

Am I missing something?

65E0A88D-101E-4873-90A2-19C20C1A853C.jpeg
3D4113CD-9866-45DE-8663-A32198C8DA84.jpeg
A382F03B-28C9-4806-9AF1-432F7368F0A2.jpeg

Is it Offset at all? maybe try just flipping it over?

Last edited:
The way it's installed in the picture is incorrect. They install on the passenger's side of the brake pedal.

The way it's installed in the picture is incorrect. They install on the passenger's side of the brake pedal.

I installed it on that side it was the same result except it was offset towards the right side

I installed it on that side it was the same result except it was offset towards the right side
I understand. I saw what you wrote. Just letting you know which side is correct. Can we see the push rod by itself?

I wonder why he would sell them without some warning?

I guess I will follow up with him tomorrow.

Thanks All.

I wonder why he would sell them without some warning?

I guess I will follow up with him tomorrow.

Thanks All.
I don't know, but there should be some offset to it, so you can actually USE the thing.

Do you have your stock push rod to compare it to?

I might some where but I am not sure. When I bought the adjustable one I think I just put it into a box somewhere

Plenty of people use Dr Diff's adjustable master push rod. I doubt that's the problem. Do you have the stock shoulder bolt? If so, compare the shoulder length with the width of that heim joint. I bet they're pretty close.

I'd maybe try lengthening the push rod so the angle isn't as drastic (w/ the pushrod on the correct side of course).

upload_2022-6-5_21-40-17.png

upload_2022-6-5_21-40-25.png

Plenty of people use Dr Diff's adjustable master push rod. I doubt that's the problem. Do you have the stock shoulder bolt? If so, compare the shoulder length with the width of that heim joint. I bet they're pretty close.

I'd maybe try lengthening the push rod so the angle isn't as drastic (w/ the pushrod on the correct side of course).

View attachment 1715937992

View attachment 1715937993
But look how much more narrow that one is at the bolt hole. His had a MUCH wider heim joint. That IS what's wrong.

Now I was mistaken....at least about my 64 Valiant which is what I was basing my statement on. Mine is actually on the driver's side of the pedal, like this:
DSCF1956.JPG

Your pedal appears to be bent differently than mine, though. Just looking at it, I would assume the push rod goes on the passenger's side, because of that sharp bend, but now I'm not certain. Sorry for the possible bad info.

But look how much more narrow that one is at the bolt hole. His had a MUCH wider heim joint. That IS what's wrong.

I think it's just a difference in the photos. Those are both dr diff push rods. In the stock photo on dr diffs site, the rod is rotated showing more of the heim ball, making it appear wider than it is. Of course, once the OP measures the width, that'll clear it up.

You are right about early A's being different. They 67-up A's have the rod on the passenger side, whereas the early A's are on the drivers side - like you said.

I think it's just a difference in the photos. Those are both dr diff push rods. In the stock photo on dr diffs site, the rod is rotated showing more of the heim ball, making it appear wider than it is. Of course, once the OP measures the width, that'll clear it up.

You are right about early A's being different. They 67-up A's have the rod on the passenger side, whereas the early A's are on the drivers side - like you said.
I was talking about the push rod picture you posted. It's not a hemi joint.

Thanks, I thought that's how it appeared, but since mine is all that I have, I wasn't sure.

I was talking about the push rod picture you posted. It's not a hemi joint.

I believe it is a heim joint:

Offset master cylinder adaptor

I think it's just hard to tell from the photo. Either way, do you really think the Dr. Diff pushrod is that much wider than your stock piece? They look pretty close to me (photos below). I bet once the OP puts it on the correct side and lengthens it, it'll be fine.

upload_2022-6-5_22-0-54.png

upload_2022-6-5_22-1-5.png

I believe it is a heim joint:

Offset master cylinder adaptor

I think it's just hard to tell from the photo. Either way, do you really think the Dr. Diff pushrod is that much wider than your stock piece? They look pretty close to me (photos below). I bet once the OP puts it on the correct side and lengthens it, it'll be fine.

View attachment 1715937996

View attachment 1715937997
I ain't buyin it. I just don't see a heim ball. Maybe it is a bad picture.....like of a different pushrod. LOL

Well no, there's not much difference if any to mine, but remember, mine is an early A too. So far we ain't seen the stock push rod for the later car.

Question: Why did you use an adjustable pushrod ? I use an adapter on my car for the aluminum master cylinder and use an E-body rod.
Also the Heim joint will rattle after a while they always do no matter where you use them or what size you use. That is why they have an O-ring on the factory shoulder bolt.

I spoke to Cass, he says it will work, I have to install the rod into the rear of the master cylinder, the bolt the rod the the brake pedal lever.

we’ll see

-
Back