Adjustable strut rods - durability for street use

-
Thank you for this information, but I'm only asking about your travel test. The simple question is, "Is it possible for the LCA to slide on the pin during that test?". Because if i can, it would never bind.

That's what makes it a touchy feely thing. You want it as close to binding as possible without actually binding. Between the angle of the heim and the length of the rod, it takes some trial and error. Once you get it, it's pretty obvious though.

Thank you for this information, but I'm only asking about your travel test. The simple question is, "Is it possible for the LCA to slide on the pin during that test?". Because if i can, it would never bind.

That would depend on where the LCA/bushing assembly is on the pivot shaft when the strut rod is at the neutral position. If the LCA is all the way forward on the pivot shaft when the strut rod is in it's neutral position then when the LCA travels up and down the arc created by the strut rod can only pull forward on the LCA. If the LCA is already all the way forward, all it can do is induce a little bit of compression in the poly bushing and a little flex in the whole assembly, not slide forward/aft.

This shows how I set up the position of the LCA with poly bushings. The front shoulder of the poly bushing is all the way against the shoulder of the pivot shaft, and the rear shoulder is against the LCA/outer bushing shell. This is what the LCA should look like when the suspension is at ride height and everything is neutral. Since the end of the strut rod always travels in an arc, it should only pull forward on the LCA as the LCA travels up and down from here.
IMG_8164.JPG

If the LCA/bushing was not all the way forward against the K frame at neutral, then the LCA would slide forward slightly as the strut rod moved off of neutral because of the arc on the strut rod.

-
Back