Adjustable Strut Rods

-

ardentindustries

Reaction score
Hey everyone,
I feel I have probably already lost some potential customers because I have yet to show anything, but have been talking about building things for a couple months now.
Well, after looking at the options of adjustable strut rods currently on the market, I decided to make that my first production product. The will be 1" 4130 chromoly tubing, all TIG welded, use threaded tube adapters, use all 5/8" fine thread hardware, and utilize a heim joint/rod end on the K-member side of the rods. I have been in touch with some fellow members about these, so it may not be a surprise to everyone.
As for price, I am fairly confident that I can do it for $160-175 for the pair. This will include all hardware needed to use your new strut rods. Should have some pictures sometime next week and be able to take orders late next week. As most know, these eliminate the pliable rubber bushings, giving your ride a stiffer feel, and positively locates the lower control arms. The heim joints allow a free range of motion as the suspension cycles up and down. On top of all this, they allow you to increase the amount of positive caster, making your ride more stable at high speeds.
Question is...how many people would be interested in these? I dont expect to retire off of these, but am wondering if the price is reasonable enough that most people could afford them, and if they are something more than a handful of people would want. Compared to other vendors, these will be considerably cheaper.
Let me know your thoughts. Thanks in advance! Pictures coming soon.

You've got my attention. Do you have a mechanical engineering background or welding certificate?
Thanks,
George

In school as of now for mechanical engineering. Getting to the degree...LOL. I have been building racecars for about 6 years now. You can check out my work on my website or on my Facebook page.
Im glad youre interested...its that much more motivating when knowing someone is interested. Thanks!

Yes, interested. Keep me/us posted, and put up a few pictures once you get a few sets made.
Good Luck!

George

I think it's a good idea, except the part about caster adjustment. Forcing the lower control arm out of the center of it's travel is NOT the way to adjust caster. You will run into binding issues with the lower control arm bushing. Sure, you can do it, but you shouldn't. Caster adjustment should come from the pivot of the upper control arm, whether it's from the factory cam bolts, or from an adjustable upper control arm. If you try to do it from the lower control arm, you will accelerate lower control arm bushing wear tremendously.

Very good point Stroker. I have plans to do tubular control arms also...probably after the strut rods and completed and moving along. I had planned on making the UCA's adjustable, and maybe even offer one with the balljoint in factory position, and then one with the balljoint slightly offset to the rear to increase caster. This all will come down to just how much you can get out of the one with factory ball joint location...maybe you wont need an offset balljoint setup. I will definitely keep everyone posted. Thanks for the input.

Not much to look at, but the heim joints are pretty. :) They are 4130 material, teflon lined, heat treated, and then cryogenically treated which makes them a VERY strong piece. I was able to buy these direct from the manufacturer, so I can pass that savings on to the customer. More pictures to follow...other pieces should be here Friday...had to ship from FL.
Thanks again.

heims.jpg

I am sure interested in a set. Don't forget B-, C-, and E-bodies.

Thanks guys. I will have to get ahold of the factory stuff from the other Mopar bodies. My dad has a B-body that I could use for mock-up as well. Im doing everything I can to get these completed by sometime next week...Im tired of talking about building stuff, I want to actually build stuff! LOL.
Thanks again.

If these will fit the early A's I'd be interested as well

my 2 cents.

1" tube is really too large. Use 7/8" and if you can find it in .159. Then you can tap the ID directly for a 5/8-18 thread. I'm going to build my own and will likely use a 7/8 DOM tube.

Use a 5/8 shank, 1/2" eye heim, you'll have space limitations where the heim is located in your K frame.

Look around at your competition in this. One of the better kit is Reilly Motorsports and it's about $199.

Ive looked around a little bit. I do not like the idea of thick wall DOM...it is unnecessary weight, being the thick wall is throughout the whole length of the tube, and is really only needed on the ends for the sake of tapping the threads. A billet machined 4130 threaded tube adapter is much stronger than a tapped piece of DOM when put under tension or compression. The thinner wall, 4130 tubing will make them lighter, and retain the strength needed.
I thought about the 5/8" heim...I will see how close it will be when I can mock it all up. The only thing left to figure out is the aluminum bushings for the K-frame. I'll have to wait until I have the K-frame in front of me, and then turn some bushings on the lathe.
Thanks for the input! Its much appreciated!

65Dartman...if someone can verify whether or not the early A-bodies are the same or not, I would gladly make them for the earlier A-bodies. Maybe the rods are different length or something? If anyone knows, let me know. Id love to help out as many people as possible.

Same deal on an early A. Build them for the 67-72 cars and they will work on the early ones.

Cool, thanks for the input. Just checked UPS tracking number...brackets and tube adapters wont be here until Monday. I may see if I can find a place closer that has them...I dont want to wait!

Kyle, i'd like a set they look great! $ for my parts will go out in a few days i'll let you know, Dan :mrgreen:

I believe the early A's are slightly shorter than those from 76-72. Maybe someone can confirm that for sure

65Dartman...maybe you can be the guinea pig for the early A-bodies??? If I can get them going, I'll send you a set, and you can test fit them.

Damn I reckon I missed out on that, huh? lol

65Dartman...maybe you can be the guinea pig for the early A-bodies??? If I can get them going, I'll send you a set, and you can test fit them.

I can do that as I'm getting ready to assemble a loose K frame for my Dart wagon.

Feels good to be able to show some sort of progress since I have been talking about building stuff forever now. Got the old strut rod out, and will have a pair of these made up by the weekend. I have to bend up a cage kit for a fellow member tomorrow, but then should be able to get onto these.
Pictures dont show alot, but its something. The threaded tube adapters fit PERFECTLY into the pocket in the lower control arm. I like them ALOT. You can see the other bracket in the front of the K-member as well...nevermind the heim joint, I was using it as a bolt because I didnt have a 5/8" bolt at the time.
Let me know if there are any questions or input from others. Tubing will be 1", 4130 tubing and the tube adapters will be TIG welded in place. Thanks to everyone!

strutrod1.jpg

strutrod.jpg

-
Back