adjustable strut rods?

-

idrift

Reaction score
Has anyone used adjustable strut rods? I see ESPO has some for 140
a pair which is a lot less than I have seen elsewhere.

Thinking this might help solve my problems....
I am guess they also allow you to tweak alignment after it's all
together if needed also right?

I would consider RMS owner Bill Reilly's adjustable ones that have the heim joint where the bushing goes, they are VERY nice pieces and address the issue of binding front strut rod bushings, which was inherent in the OEM design. I've read a few people say the front end motion was really allowed to flex after putting these in. I'm putting my car back together this week so I can't say how much of a difference they are yet.

http://www.reillymotorsports.com/store/home.php?cat=266

If you just want an adjustable strut rod with the original bushings, I'm not sure how much adjustability you will get out of it, possibly some more caster if you pull the LCA forward but this can cause binding issues on the LCA bushing. What are your current problems?

Ok, I just read your thread on the LCA bushing situation, wow that is a pain in the arse. I'm using rubber LCA bushings on my 64 Valiant because about 15 years ago I had problems similar to yours on my 73 Scamp. Those darn poly ones just gave me a headache, the LCA pins would spin inside the bushing, and like AutoX said I had to use skinny pliers to hold it while tightening the front pin nut. Then the torsion bar clip wouldn't go in because the LCA was pushed back etc, etc....

Well adjustable ones allow for the length changes with poly bushings and
even rubber ones. The original one piece bushing in my car compressed down
to about 1/4" thick. The new poly are about 3/4" thick and even Moog rubber
are about that. You end up having a strut rod that is too long, and when using
poly bushings in the lower control arm, it pushed them backwards.

I had a hell of a time getting my lca to fit right. I have a poly bushing on
one side cut down to 3/8" thick and the other to 1/4" thick. The one thicker
one is still slightly too thick as my lca is pushed back about 1/8". An adjustable rod would let you tweak that while in the car all assembled and
with a flexible joint they are supposed to allow better up an down travel of
the suspension.

With all the trouble I had they would have been nice but expensive.
I spent hours tweaking and it's still not perfect on one side. They would
have sure been nice and I'd have a perfect setup.

FWIW

-
Back