Adjusting doors

-

straightlinespeed

Sometimes I pretend to be normal
Reaction score
When I had my 71 Scamp apart for paint I inspected my door hinges and pins. I ended up replacing the pins and then aligned my doors, which shut nice. That was 2 years ago. I've noticed this past summer that the drivers door sags just enough that the door doesnt shut correctly. Unless I pull the door hard to get it to ride up on the door striker. Once shut the alignment and gaps are nice.

I've checked the hinge pins and they are still in place as well as the bushings. Im not sure where it moved but Im guessing it is where the hinge meets the body. Is it possible to adjust the doors with out pulling the front fender off? Any suggestions would be appreciated

I don't know for sure about your car, but mine has three bolts on each hinge at the body side.
Two go in from the inside (the easy ones) and one on each hinge goes from the outside towards the inside.
With the door open all the way, I get the top hinge bolt that goes from the outside in with a box end 9/16 and the other two on the inside with a rachet and socket.

If you go under the top hinge with your wrench you can get to it.
Just be sure to use a box end wrench or you won't be able to turn it hardly at all without flipping the wrench over, then over, then over to get to the next flat on the bolt.

On the bottom hinge, with the door all the way open you can reach that one bolt with a rachet, 9/16 socket and a universal joint or swivel socket.
Go in from the outside of the door between the fender and the door where the gap is when the door is open.

Leave the hard to get at bolts loose until you are all done adjusting the door, then tighten them down.

Good deal, thanks Greg! I have the exact same hinges so in theory the way you mentioned to do it should work. Much appreciated.

-
Back