advance springs?

-
The 13R means the distributor has 13 degrees of mechanical advance or 26 when you start looking at the crank with a timing light. It will likely require that you shorten the slots as the cam you uses has more duration/overlap than stock to get the initial timing where it needs to be for a clean idle and good off idle throttle response.

As for springs if you got this distributor from Mopar Performance it will already have a fast advance rate and it's unlikely you need to do anything with the springs.

I thought I read in one of the many posts on here that it was only after 2000 or so that they came with the lighter springs???? I bought this around '97-'98 or so if memory serves me correctly. I was wondering if 26 degrees was too much, also read that people put a weld on the slot and then file it down to reduce the amount of advance. Though I was thinking it wouldn't be hard to drill and tap a couple of holes in that plate, then make some metal pieces that could slide and be adjustable with a little finger that goes into the slot.

Around 2000 they started using the fully adjustable Mallory mechanical advance mechanism prior to the it was just a stock distributor with lighter springs for a faster advance rate.

I guess it all boils down to what your time is worth. I for one will spend the $30 to get a kit with an assorment of springs and spacers so I only have to pull the distributor once to set it up the way I want it.

And do you think the early racers went to the hardware store once the spring kits became available?

I guess some of us are more resourseful than others. While you sit and watch your mailbox I will be at the track with my hardware store springs.Why the need to attack me.

I guess some of us are more resourseful than others. While you sit and watch your mailbox I will be at the track with my hardware store springs.Why the need to attack me.

It was not my intention to attach anyone and I apologize if it came off that way.

Anyway, I have not ever used hardware store springs but I have mixed and matched springs from brand x welded and ground slots and basically dialed in stock distributors. The last time I did this was on a \6 I built back around 2000 because there was no other choice and it took a full day to get it where I wanted it. Now I have kit sitting on the shelf in the garage with a set of graphs that graphically show the curve, it takes less than an hour to pull the distributor, adjust the mechanical advance swap in new springs and have it back in the car. Plus I know what it is going to do before firing the engine.

Just seems to me that if you are going to invest in a Mopar Performance distributor (or any aftermarket distributor) that you should take full advantage of the adjustability and buy the kit that goes with it. My beef is all these ditributors should come with the kit.

-
Back