advanced timing school please

-
It's all in at 1900? There was no more advance after 1900?

no it seemed to top out at 34-35* i used the timing light that i bought today to get an accurate digital tach reading. revd it up as high as 2500 and it stuck right to 35.

I'd rev it up to about 4K and see if it changes at all. If it's really all done, then you are ok as long as it doesn't ping.

alright ill try that out tomorrow. although i was fooling around with it in the driveway listening to those 2 borlas i have under there and there was no pinging. im pretty satisfied where its at, but tomorrow after work ill do as you say

It won't ping in the driveway, there is no load on the engine.

i checked that out today, and i got a rising number in advance up 4k. it rose to about 38 give or take a degree or 2. i drove the car, and did not have any pings... but i actually shut the car off and started it and had some kick back,which i didnt have yesterday after making sure to check for it. so ill drop the initial a degree or 2. and thatll set me back down around 36ish advanced correct?

Yes, if getting any kickback, drop it a degree or two and see how it starts. Make sure you have a good cables, especially ground, from your battery to engine.

I saw the big spring in that advance set up and figured it may not be done. It may even advance beyond 4K with the garage door spring in there. See how you do with what you have and adjust as necessary.

yea my connections are all brand new and as well the battery. iactually just had to shim the power steering pump and filed the ground connection at the battery and where its grounded at the power steering bracket bolt. ill look the + connection over tomorrow in better light.

you mentioned the spring in that dizzy, it did look likee a big spring right? i thought it may have been quite tight. like i said, this dizzy i have was on the engine i sold to 70_dart... n i figured that it was recurved to perform with that engine.

im using my vac gauge and test light rpm feature to set initial. i gain vac pressure up to 21 hg and until the engine starts to skip. so judging by the kickback i have initial set at 17* pulling 18hg vac. the distributor does pull after 2k, about another 6-8* i would say. seems to be all in about 3k from what i can tell, and mech. advance is around the 40ish mark

-
Back