Advice for beginner wanting get into drag racing?

-
I have to say, if you haven't seen a "bad" burnout you haven't seen many. There is PLENTY of videos (at race tracks!!!!) of "burnouts gone bad" Everything from unexpected handling of the car, water on one side, broken axles, wheel studs, one where the axle came clear out of the car. I could go on, but I see no point

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3v9_dOV9g6Q

"Oh %$#@ that's not good."

LMAO, what was your first clue.

Go spectate for a bit. Maybe see if you can volunteer working in the burnout box. Our local track is always looking for help. Then you can observe a days worth of burnouts. Also ask questions to people at the track. They are always willing to help. Maybe bring your car and asks the tech guy about what needs to be done before you buy a tech card. Then you can be ready for race day and tech won't be an issue. I'm a tech inspector at out local track (mission raceway), pm me with any questions you have about your car and I can prolly help.

Kris

Check your drag strips website for a racers handbook. I know my track has one. Good info about their policies and race day procedures.

There's two ways to look silly:1. Doing a poor job at a burnout. Unless you have a very powerful engine, slicks and a line lock, just drive around the water box. A big burn out in the water box is crap shoot and you really look stupid if only 1 wheel is spinning. I had a 65 Cornet with a very well built 440, Edelbrock heads etc... with 245 BFG radials (not drag radials) and I drove around the waterbox. It spun but went straight. Drag strips are alot stickier than a road. In fact, if don't have slicks a little water could stay in the tread and make it spin more when you launch. 2. Before you try to stage your car watch where other cars are activating the lights with their front wheels and try to find a reference point you can see from in your car. Then, when you're in your car you won't drive through the staging lights forcing the guy to make you back up and re-stage. Unless your car is making 400+ hp and set up drag racing, I wouldn't worry about too much else. Seat belts and a helmet should be good. You shouldn't go faster than a 12:00, which gets you into a bunch of safety rules like rollcages etc... Just my two cents and have fun. Its is a blast and doesn't much matter if you go 15's or 12's you're going to have fun.

Just go to the track and observe. Ask questions you have, here or at the track. Go out when they have test and tune sessions and run her through as many times as you feel comfortable with. Don't worry about making mistakes. We all do that when we are beginning. I remember taking a huge nap on the lights and even starting out in second a time or two. Let's not talk about about the first few times with the line lock! LOL

This, this, this ^^^^^^^^

Go as an observer the first few times. Although you probably have gone as a spectator in the past, go a few times and look at things as a perspective racer. You can quickly see in that light what and what not to do. Even take pad and paper to take notes. Nobody can remember everything. Walk through the pits and look at cars similar to what you want yours to be. Write down stuff you like and don't like about them. This will help you get your car the way you want it. You can ask how people do things on forums all day long, but seeing it in person, there's no substitute for. Lots of good ideas out there.......bad ones too. Write it all down.

Speaking from past experience.......Bring plenty of shade with you for the pits. There can be some lengthy delays between passes. You will need a good portable radio to tune in to the tracks station. And please don`t forget to ........GO ON YELLOW!!!

All of the above are good answers. Don't be afraid to ASK questions.I took 20 years off from racing,things changed when I went back. So simple questions "This is my first time here,after I pay my way in where should I go next?"You will get a tech card. When you go to the tech line ask for help filling out your tech card. Ask the tech inspector "This is my first time" You will find most are willing to help any way they can. Next you will line up in the staging lanes.At most tracks you will have plenty of standing around time in the lanes.ASK some one around you "How do you stage?" Most everybody there was a first timer once and most will have no problem giving advise.

Watch how others do their burnout, and stage up. Where their cars trip the pre-stage light, and stage light. If your unsure if your car will pass, just go to tech and try, they will inform you of what catches their eyes. I did this, and they said "next time have two throttle springs, and take your hubcaps off". I went and my 1st pass was in a 150 dollar winter beater '73 swinger 318 2bbl that missed. 16.72 at 81 mph. Yippee! Fast facts are all cars need the battery anchored and a radiator overflow.

Watch the guys that are consistent, doesn't matter if they run real fast or not watch their rituals in the pits too , do what they do between rounds. One change at a time and right it in a log book , along with the weather and track temp.Stay safe be careful have fun.

Not trying to be a jerk here but how is a burnout bad. For drag racing you just power brake it for a few seconds then pull forward. And for your first time just out the car in drive, don't worry about shifting.

WRONG ANSWER!!!

Yes, burnouts can go bad and I've seen plenty of them w/ both slicks and street tires.For one lanes are a lot narrower then in a parking lot and if it's a well prepped track the traction will be alot better then anything you have experienced before.

If your cars on street tires drive around the water and then back up to just outside the water, its important that you keep the car lined up straight or it will go sideways. Since I'm assuming you don't have a line-loc and you will be shifting manually with an Auto or definitely with a Manual Lol
Apply the brakes
Car in 1st
Mash the pedal and as RPM's increase and you develop good wheelspin,shift into second tires will continue to spin
Don't Over-Rev, watch your Tach
If you start getting sideways you can release the brake and drive out of it depending on your skill level

WooHoo, Smokey burnouts are a blast especially when you have to open your door to let the smoke out!

Pull up to the tree the starter will/should guide you so you don't overstage
There are two Ambers, Pre-Stage and Stage
Turn on the 1st light then creep forward until you turn on the second,if your racing solo start to bring up your revs as soon as you turn on the second Amber.
If your racing an opponent it's the same but don't bring up the revs until either you or them turn on the second Amber

Use Tunnel vision and don't worry about the folks in the bleachers.

Have fun your gonna love it- Instant testosterone spike

Good visual demonstration of a burnout gone bad! Love the audio of the cameraman!

Have fun drag racing😃

if you back into the water box make sure you take it outta reverse for the burnout. i have seen more then one guy do reverse burnouts and slam into the backer board. lol.

1) BEFORE you roll into the burnout area, make sure your windows are rolled up. That way you don't forget.

2) If it is your first time staging the car, let the car in the other lane pre-stage first. That way you can line up your car based on the car in the other lane. Go slow and once the pre-stage light comes on **STOP** look around and make a mental note on where your car is in relation to the tree, signs on the fence, or whatever landmarks are available. You may have to stage the car in the future without the benefit of a car in the other lane. Most tracks have the starting line beams well back from the tree. Most rookies will rush up there and miss their front tires rolling through the staging beams and actually stage with their back tires. This will result in a knock on the window from the starter waving you to back out and stage again.

3) Make sure you know what the finish line looks like. Once you cross the finish line, get out of the throttle and ease into the brakes. Look for the turnoff, but NEVER cut in front of another car to exit the track. Either wait for the other car to pass you or turn off first before you exit the track.

4) Keep the speed down on the return road. Many track post 15-20MPH speed limits on the return road. Look for the ET slip booth and carefully stop at the booth and get your slip. It is a good idea to look at the car numbers listed on the slip to ensure that your car number is listed. If your number is not listed, then it is a good time to tell the booth operator about the discrepancy. It is possible the tower could not read the number off your car correctly. If this is the case, you can fix it when you get back to the pits.

5) Keep you speed down in the pits. The pits are basically a parking lot full of people and kids.

Helpful things to bring to the track:
1) Helmet
2) Window cleaner
3) paper towels
4) shoe polish
5) pen/pencil
6) hat (to cover up helmet hair between runs)

Between runs spend some time walking the pits and talk to people with similar cars to the one you plan on racing. The amount of information you can get from folks about how they achieved their results can be priceless. All of these people live drag racing every week, but sadly none of them will ever write a book about their experiences.

If you are interested in reading more about racing slow cars against faster cars, do a search for old copies of SS/DI and BRUSA with articles by Mr. Dirt.

We have a Wednesday night runs. cheep fun and mostly street cars. great way to get your feet wet. also buy a car that's done its cheaper than building one.

-
Back